1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett, Gatehouse talking merger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, May 30, 2019.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Max Preps is not a useful tool for timely, accurate information, even on a fricking score, much less a statistical recap.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I've found them to be very hit or miss with whatever information I may need.

Liut likes this.
  3. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Maxpreps doesn't have local/regional writers. Every recap is automatically written based on scores and stats reported by fans and/or coaches or team statisticians.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Maxpreps is as good as the information that's fed to them, which usually comes from coaches. If you're not hearing from Ptodunk High volleyball, it's unlikely they're feeding the Maxpreps monster. And a lot of coaches are reluctant to update their Maxpreps page for fear of tipping opponents on who their top players are. (So, yeah, in some cases the coach is costing some kids scholarships).

That said, Maxpreps has at least two writers based in Northern California, Mitch Stephens in the Bay area (he also strings preps for the SF Chronicle) an Kevin Askeland in the Northstate. But for rankings and information, just about every prep writer in the state swears by Mark Tennis and Cal-Hi Sports. Cal-Hi has one of the most comprehensive record books I've seen on any level.

Old Time Hockey likes this.
  5. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

I've been out of the prep sports game for a while, but I think in NC, the NCHSAA made it mandatory for coaches to fill out their maxpreps pages with at least rosters and scores. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Massachusetts wants to us MaxPreps power rankings to seed their state tournaments, so they’re going to have to make it mandatory for ADs to do the data entry as well.

I imagine there are other states already doing so.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Another way for the MIAA to fuck things up. They’re on a pretty good tear in recent years. No state, especially Massachusetts, needs eight state champions in high school football.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

After having 19 champions between East, Central and West, it's a step in the right direction.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Sure, why not combine sales staffs? If you can print a dozen papers at one site, why can't a single sales staff sell a dozen papers?

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  10. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Worth noting also that at the beginning of this school year, Scorebook Live replaced MaxPreps as the new provider of scores, stats, etc., for the California Interscholastic Federation.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Is one any better than the other?

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Not likely. When I was working on standings and stats for the leagues in my coverage area, I found it was better to just have my own email lists. Some teams use MaxPreps wonderfully. Some post nothing. By having my lists, I was able to contact each coach individually when I needed something and send things out to the league as a whole.

bpoindexter, sgreenwell and Liut like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted