1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'm fairly shocked that Michigan State didn't move from D'Antonio. That would have led to a lot of movement, especially Matt Campbell to Lansing and then it cascades from there.

Arkansas and Missouri both move on from coaches and THOSE are their hires. Especially Arkansas, bringing back a Bielema assistant. I would have expected Sterk to have a bigger name if moving on from Odom.

If Memphis goes for Barry Odom, they are signing their warrant into being 6-6 again. He's a horrendous game coach, as was Willie Taggart at Florida State.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Interesting that Mizzou hires a coach with a name that has "Drink" in it.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, has anyone checked @Neutral Corner's pulse lately? I think he's made it through the silly season unscathed?

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm still bruised all over from the asswhipping Saturday, but other than that I'm good. Reports came out that Clark had not been contacted, which helped. Of course, when your agent tells people "Don't waste your breath", that tends to happen. I fully expect him to stay through at least 2021 when the new stadium opens, but that does not mean I don't get nervous when folks start waving millions of dollars around.

The corollary is that UAB is going to the New Orleans Bowl, a destination I have long hoped for - to be matched up with App. St. I didn't want any part of them this year. I think this may be their all time best team, and they're pissed that they didn't draw a P5. OTOH, our kids got embarrassed. I'm hoping they come out with a chip on their shoulder.

Considering how young the team was and all the injuries, I'm still very happy with the season. Eight wins and winning the division in a legit rebuilding year? Sure, I'll take that.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Most coaches in the AAC, save for Navy's coach, are horrible game coaches. The trick is to have the best players.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sparty is still in semi paralysis because of the fallout of the Larry Nassar mess, the AD is a puppet figurehead, the president is a outsider newcomer, and the board of trustees is still divided with old time jockockracy holdovers still calling most of the shots. Dantonio is safe until next year (which looks pretty grim considering graduation losses plus dog-food recruiting classes the last 3-4 years).
    But Dantonio is 64, with a history of heart problems, etc etc. He puts up another steamer next year, it would be surprising if he didn't walk away. The main difference being, right now the school would take his input on a successor under consideration, but if he posts another oozing turd of a season next year, nobody will care who he wants as a successor.

As I've mentioned earlier, it's not like there are any gleaming diamonds in the Dantonio coaching tree. Most of his protégés have been anything from moderate disappointments to complete duds, so there is no glittering heir apparent.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Just like predecessor Fuentes has been at Tech?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think "winning the press conference" is overrated, ask Texas, Michigan, Texas A&M, Nebraska, and UCLA.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

True.

But Arkansas fans are absolutely going nuts over the Red Dirt Orgeron's performance today in Fayetteville.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I heard some of that on Finebaum, and my thought was "If I were an Arkansas fan, I'd be crying now."

exmediahack likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

OK, this was pretty funny.

Armchair_QB likes this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

What did he do or say? I noticed he has never been a coordinator. That’s got to be rare in the Power 5.

Draft saved Draft deleted