1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: ESPN Classic?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Youtube did far more to kill it than HD.

We can now re-live favorite sports moments whenever we want just by typing words in a search engine. No need to wait for them on some TV channel.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'd read years ago that they were moving Classic to premium and plugging ESPNU in that standard tier spot instead.

3. Meren

Meren New Member

Just got phased out with Uverse and Spectrum recently too. at least with Uverse it said the Broadcast rights expired this happened to my knowledge a few days ago.

4. Meren

Meren New Member

Not true not everything is on youtube like the Games you actually are searching for. Old NFL, Old NBA. I have no problem watching old footage in 480 or even 360 still comes out okay when you download it.

5. Meren

Meren New Member

Yeah but people would rather watch the even older bowl games. most of the recent stuff in unwatchable. I for one would rather see games from the 70s and 80s. ESPN Classic hated to show Cleveland Teams actually winning. Same with NBA TV. or they would show too recent games. Instead of games from the Miracle of Richfield Era with the Cavs. I miss Sports Channel. It is impossible to get High School Sports in Ohio because the OHSAA basically gave the rights to Spectrum over Sportime Ohio. pretty much everyone has Sporttime Ohio. What I don't get is an Ohio TV Station showing more Pennsylvania and ACC Games then anything else. Other then the Indians. and why does Major League Baseball blackout the Cinci Reds. The NHL does not blackout the Blue Jackets. the MLS does not blackout the Crew.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I also wanted the really obscure crap, too. Classic Sports Network was a brilliant idea in 1997 and I'd watch it most mornings.

Since YouTube got past the ten-minute time limit, complete games are everywhere. It's so, so damn good.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Somebody got really inventive with Super Bowl V.

Only three quarters of complete game footage are available. But the complete fourth-quarter audio was found, and now there's a link that includes the fourth-quarter audio with snippets of NFL Films highlights. Where there are no highlights, there is simply a message that says "next video picture at 3:12:14", etc.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I almost lost a job and a marriage to that incredible YouTube channel - long gone now - that had hundreds of complete college football games, all sorted by school, going way back

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

When I had a cold back in May I may or may not have wasted an entire Sunday watching Major League Baseball all-star games from the 1980s.

Draft saved Draft deleted