1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 14- The Bird and The Beard Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 2, 2019.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Ok, so I look for these sort of goofy stats all the time. I did some digging after I saw a couple of Twitter posts about how the winner of the NFC East could finish 6-10.

I took the last four weeks, with Thursday's game already in the bag, and sorted through some things. And the Cowboys would win both a three-way tie and a four-way tie for the NFC East at 6-10 on division record (4-2).

Yes, the Cowboys can go into the playoffs as the NFC East champion while on a six-game losing streak.

A four-way tie comes about as far as I can figure only if Washington beats Green Bay and then the Giants beat the Dolphins and then the Redskins later. But even if Dallas loses its last two division games, they would hold the tie-breaker with a 4-2 division record because they swept the Giants.

Oy.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is it possible that the Cowboys aren't underachieving - they just aren't that good?

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think people pointed to a couple of things: The hot start against teams in retrospect were trash; Prescott isn't a terrible QB; Zeke is really good, but how's much did the holdout set him back; Amari Cooper was great does the stretch last year; Whiton was back; and it's the Cowboys.

The only thing that has made me laugh harder than the Cowboys has been the Raiders.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Speaking of obscure stats, the Packers are threatening some long-standing records this season.
    Through 12 games, they have nine punt returns for minus-8 yards. The NFL record for fewest returns in a season is 12 (shared by the Colts in 1981 and Chargers in 1982), and the record for fewest punt return yards is 27 by the Cardinals in 1965. The 1965 Giants had 35 yards, and the 1972 Patriots had 37.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And they're about to face the Greatest Punter Of All Time Tress Way, so they ain't returning shit on Sunday.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

9. DanOregon

I understand the extra-point isn't a "gimme" anymore, but successful kicks (XPs and FGs) are down. Are kickers undervalued now? Or does their lack of reliability make the game more interesting - encouraging coaches to go for it on FOURTH (fixed) down between the 3o and 40.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I’d always go for it on first down. But that’s just me.

cjericho and Batman like this.
  11. DanOregon

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Cam Newton HOF ?

Draft saved Draft deleted