1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take that, Brock Yates: NYC to LAX in 27 hours, 25 minutes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Dec 4, 2019.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Seems to me you could just use a souped-up ambulance and avoid having to worry about being pulled over for speeding.

What's one more law to break anyway?

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Flip Wilson likes this.
  3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Now, I'm going to go home and pray Cannonball Run is on my Netflix.

playthrough likes this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I was always partial to the Gumball Rally, not Cannonball Run.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You just made me think. ... Let's be honest, they are both fairly shitty films from a cinematic standpoint, and even from a comedic standpoint. Which leaves you comparing Gary Busey, Raul Julia and an otherwise forgettable cast. ... to Burt Reynolds, Dom DeLuise, Roger Moore, Farrah Fawcett, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Jamie Farr, Peter Fonda, etc. Then add in all the cameos from Jackie Chan before anyone knew who he was to Bianca Jagger to Jimmy the Greek to Joe Klecko.

The Cannonball Run isn't good because it's a good movie, it's good because it is kitschy and killed it with one casting choice that was more ridiculous than the next. The Gumball Rally was just a kind of mediocre movie, but without Jack Elam or Bert Convy to provide many saving graces.

exmediahack likes this.
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

No comparison.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Cannonball Run looks like it was a riot to make and you're pretty much just spying on that. See the outtakes in the closing credits.

Sheesh, how many headliners are still alive? Farr, Bradshaw, Adrienne Barbeau ...

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

"If you can catch me, you can have me."

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Chan

playthrough likes this.
  10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

This reminds of the time as a teenager when I was driving dad's 1977 Grand Torino about 105 miles per hour on I-80 in Nebraska with a Peterbilt practically scraping my bumper.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Hard to argue those points. I was never a fan of Burt, Dom, or Jackie Gleason.
    I thought the cars were cooler on Gumball. I'll stand down.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

mpcincal and Inky_Wretch like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted