1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greeley (Co.) Tribune lays off sports department

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pilot, Dec 3, 2019.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Option C: Stupid.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I maybe could understand it if they eliminated the sports section altogether. I'm a little worried things are heading that way anyway as more teams, schools and leagues put out their own releases and such. Hell, I'm already at a point where, as a one-man shop, I'm reliant on those entities for at least the raw material that I can aggregate.
    If the publisher in Greeley just said, "We feel like we need to focus on hard news and not sports at all," there might be some dignity in that.
    But what he's doing instead just sounds like more of the same asinine bullshit we've seen for years. Do more with less. Fire the experienced people who have had the gall to work their way up to a good wage and hire a revolving cast of chuckleheads who make slightly above minimum wage -- and then wonder why none of them ever last longer than six months.
    Every task for the new position that he describes in that op-ed is something sports writers do every day in the course of their normal duties. So he's basically firing two experienced sports writers, hiring a young one that doesn't know their ass from their elbow, and dumping more work on the other newsroom staff. All while calling it the buzzwordy "sports data journalist."
    Why do I get the feeling this publisher will be gone by the end of 2020, having left a path of utter destruction in his wake that some poor bastard or bastards will have to figure out a way to clean up?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's like all these columns talking about something new end with a PBS pledge break.

4. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I’m convinced that some of the dumbest people on on the planet are newspaper executives. This publisher isn’t helping that opinion.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just wait until the sports data journalist costs some kid a scholarship.

swingline and Tweener like this.
  6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That won’t take long.

7. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I hate this motherfucker's guts.

Batman and HanSenSE like this.
  8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I'm with you on that. What a clueless moron. Makes himself look like more of an idiot with every tweet.

Tweener and Jesus_Muscatel like this.
  9. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

The worst part about this entire thing, to me, is that this dude with no editorial experience (according to LinkedIn) is making and then explaining major editorial decisions. Place is doomed to fail with a business side guy crossing that line.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Greeley is a university town (the University of Northern Colorado is a D-1 school with an enrollment of about 12,000) with a population of over 100,000. The population has grown by close to 20% in the last ten years. Greeley is a prosperous and growing place, unlike Youngstown. Yet the paper does not think it has the money to even cover the local D-1 team.

If the paper in Greeley is struggling this badly I think it is further evidence that small papers are doomed.

11. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Please don't take this as an endorsement of the publisher's decision, and knowing nothing of the community or region ... but the D-I football program averages less than 5,000 attendance, second from the bottom of a 13-team conference. Is there enough reader interest to justify a beat writer?

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Brief counterpoint, while not wishing to argue. How many events in a community of 100,000 can bring 5,000 together at the same time and at the same place? Certainly not a city counsel meeting, probably nothing.

Tweener likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted