1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I have. I follow her. I follow the Devils reporter. I follow most of the hockey reporters for the Athletic, because I enjoy following the sport.

I have no problem with either photo. They're normal photos for the 21st century.

I'm guessing here, based on your objection and the use of the phrase "young lady", that this is the product of a generational gap. Just like the people writing in to TV anchors criticizing them for wearing dresses that show shoulders instead of a pantsuit. Or a burka.

2. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

So cleavage is an appropriate professional look now? I missed that memo. At my job, a woman presenting herself in that manner would at best be reprimanded - and I work for all women.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

david lee roth just a gigolo - Bing

4. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

There are countless reporters showing up to press boxes in flip flops and stained sweatshirts, and yet a little cleavage on a Twitter avatar leads to cries of unprofessionalism. My god.

She's not working on Wall Street. How many inked stained wretches do you see wearing suits and ties to games?

5. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

We differ on the definition of “a little.”

6. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

All good amigo! No need to apologize. Play on!

Severian likes this.
  7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Hard to have a good thread 154 pages in, but this is deteriorating in a bad way.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That's the girl who accused Dejan of harassment in that Deadspin story.

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The coverage is stupid, in my opinion. It goes in the face of the image of the very serious capital J Journalism that the Athletic seems to espouse. I’m probably mistaken about that image if that’s the coverage they want.

But thousands of people like it. They disagree with me. That’s fine. They can follow, I won’t, we’ll all be OK.

You wonder many of those thousands liking those edgy Tweets are Athletic subscribers? How do you monetize all those social media impressions?

That’s the thing that’s going to vex the business until the end times, not avatar attire.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

No one's Twitter photo is worse than mine

11. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

For starters, the criticism of the Twitter photo is a little ridiculous. Secondly, isn't a Twitter following essentially just a readership? If people can monetize that and turn it into subs, that's good for the whole industry.

Now, the conversation about some of the beats skewing its homer-ish is certainly worth a discussion, because I've seen that a decent amount. And it makes sense. Imagine a recruiting site that constantly publishes opinions that are unpopular with the fan base. That site won't last at all.

12. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I prefer following people who built a following from their work, not from
    shitposting on the site.

Draft saved Draft deleted