1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS Football Scoring thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Had a football scoring question, figured it out thanks to the Miami Dolphins Miami Miracle.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  2. Be aware NFL stat rules and NCAA/high school stat rules are not the same.
    What's your question?

3. Rhody31

It was a linescore question about hook and lateral plays. I've seen plenty of them, know how to score one, but never saw one that got in the end zone.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And the answer?

5. Ah, I figured that's what you might have. I saw one go into the end zone years ago in a high-school game and about half a dozen reporters huddled for 15 minutes to compare notes.

According to the NCAA stat manual, there can be only one carry or reception per play. Thus if Smith catches the ball and laterals to Jones, Jones gets credit for reaching yardage beyond where Smith lateraled the ball, but he doesn't get credit for a catch. Smith gets the only catch on the play. But if Jones were to score he would get credit for a receiving touchdown as well as his yardage. I'm sure you probably know this, but some people might not.

daytonadan1983 and HanSenSE like this.
  6. Rhody31

Jones 8 pass from Smith.
    You ignore the completion, just write the guy who scored and where he took the lateral from.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

This is so wrong. @Cybersport2015 explained it correctly.

8. Rhody31

He explained the stat, not how to write it in a linescore.
    Original receiver gets 1-5, kid who scored the TD gets 0-8, QB gets all the yardage. In the linescore it reads:
    HT: Scorer 13 pass from QB.

9. In the scoring summary it should read: Smith 8 yard run with lateral. (Technically, there is no such thing as a lateral, it's a backward pass, but that's for another time.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

This was probably the wrong way, but I did it this way a couple of times in my box scores when such a play happened because I felt like you had to account for all the yardage and all the action in the play. And since I was always a one-man staff, I didn't have anyone to bounce it off of on deadline.

So I used to phrase it:
    HT — Billybob 13 lateral from Fredbob after 22 pass from Joebob (Joebob kick).

Thanks goodness I never had one of those last-second, 40-lateral miracle kickoff return touchdowns. I just realized that if I had that happen, Very Young Me would have had a hell of a time with that.

11. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Entry in linescore is ...

TEAM - Jones 30 run with lateral after Smith 15 pass from Miller

Jones: 0 receptions, 30 receiving yards, receiving TD
    Smith: 1 reception, 15 receiving yards
    Miller: 1 completion, 1 attempt, 45 passing yards, passing TD

Might be important to note that Smith gets credit for yards to the point that Jones takes the lateral, not to the point from which Smith initiated the lateral.

fossywriter8 likes this.
  12. Rhody31

Draft saved Draft deleted