1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They weren't trying to buy it (When it sold, it went for $110 million. ... That would be way beyond the means of the The Athletic without another very large capital raise).

What they wanted was to license the name. ... what TheMaven was already doing.

Authentic Brands Group (which bought it from Meredith) is the owner and they are licensing the name to TheMaven.

What isn't clear from that report is how what they proposed would have worked. ... TheMaven already had licensed the name. Presumably, it was an exclusive license. Mather and Hannsman saw that their plan was to create a content farm and they made an offer to license something that wasn't available. ... the TheMaven already had the licence.

For that to work, Authentic Brands would have had to have been receptive. And TheMaven would have had to agreed to step aside (presumably being compensated).

Too bad they didn't have the idea before a license had been executed. Conceptually, they could have done more with the name than to squeeze whatever value was left while bludgeoning it to death.

Lugnuts likes this.
  2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

It is clear to me that the primary purpose of the ESPN website is to promote the Smith and Kornhesier/Wilbon television shows. I think that all the layoffs of good reporters (John Clayton, et. al) and the focus on a few prominent television personalities such as Schefter and Woj (who are great reporters) demonstrate that ESPN does not think the show that solid beat reporting is particularly profitable.

That is not to say there are not excellent reporters at ESPN. But their number has dwindled.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  3. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

And none of them cover college sports

4. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Fredrick is confused. Why would the suits want to purchase a magazine that no longer makes money? This seems like it rings hollow. Something doesn’t smell right. Maybe the suits forgot to dry clean their suits.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Did you forget to switch between your accounts?

6. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I'm really starting to think Frederick and Sports Barf are the same person lol

Tweener likes this.
  7. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

OK, I’ll bite. Why is it so clear the primary reason ESPN.com exists is to promote two TV shows?

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I forgot to add the morning show. But if you go through the front page of their website they will almost always prominently display clips of Smith. Kornheiser /Wilbon and someone mention the morning show. Are the hot takes of their show hosts the most important sports stories of the day?

At the same time they have never replaced Reilly and Simmons as general interest columnists and reduced their reporting staff.

9. Golfswing13

Golfswing13 New Member

It seems like The Athletic has devoted countless people in each market and nationally for what feels like hundreds of All-Decade stories -- all-decade teams for each franchise, top game of the decade, top moments, etc. That is a heavy, heavy load and requires a lot of coordination. Interesting idea, but it also feels like something a newspaper editor came up with. Thoughts?

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Here's a brutal lead by a lightly experienced beat writer on the Carolina Hurricanes. It's like she didn't even try to write a lead; she just transcribed.

NEW YORK — “I’m going to just start because I know the questions are coming here and talking about the incident with Bill,” Hurricanes coach Rod Brind’Amour said as he addressed the media at Madison Square Garden after Wednesday’s morning skate. “It for sure happened, the two issues in question.”

Brind’Amour was referencing an allegation from former Hurricanes defenseman Michal Jordan that former Hurricanes coach and current Flames coach Bill Peters kicked Jordan and punched an unnamed player in the head during a game.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Not to mention, where's the editor?

Writer likes this.
  12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I don't believe The Athletic has midlevel or copy editors. I've repeatedly seen stories that needed assistance. I enjoy the variety and longer stories, but some are like the writer just vomited everything from the notebook and elsewhere into the story. At some point on some of them I just give up.

Draft saved Draft deleted