1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LIVE from the DMV........Its Chef.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

No way that ever happens. He doesn't have the balls to actually move to Russia.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Like licenses, Green Cards have to be renewed. Every 10 years.

I couldn't get permanent residency in Russia. It requires . . .

• 4 x passport-sized photographs
    • passport or valid ID
    • proof of income to sustain yourself and any family members you are supporting
    • proof of accommodation
    • medical certificate confirming absence of HIV (AIDS)
    • proof of proficiency in Russian language, knowledge of Russian history and of the foundations of the Russian Federation
    Being able to say "my large brown dog is prettier than your small, gray cat" won't prove proficiency, I'm afraid. :(

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    TigerVols, OscarMadison and Chef2 like this.
  3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It can be done. Just read carefully.

It's not exactly an easy process here ... I honestly think DMV was surprised I got every box checked off the first time.

And I wasn't surprised that I waited in a lobby for three hours to get it done. Some of the stereotypes exist for a reason ...

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

On everything I own, the first time I read that, I thought it said JDV.

Fred siegle likes this.
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Why would I do that?

For all his bluster, the one time I caught him in his BS, he resorted to cheap name-calling. He can stay away.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They do take appointments at DMVs in my state. Not exactly to-the-minute punctual, but my wait was 45 mins. vis a vis the 3-4 hours some people without appointments endure.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I hope you at least let him take a look at your 9 1/2 toes.

Quid pro quo.

Chef2 and OscarMadison like this.
  8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Chef, I'm sorry your misery provided so much glee this afternoon. Would a simple "Thank you!" suffice?

Chef2 likes this.
  9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

We went to get new licenses in our new state a few weeks ago. I was in and out in about 10 minutes.

Not my wife.

Trip No. 1: Denied. She forgot to bring her marriage license and couldn't show the connection from her birth name to married name.

Trip No. 2: Denied. They claimed her birth certificate -- her real, original birth certificate, from the state of New York, wasn't legit.

Trip No. 3: Provisional license only. Even though she now had the certified whatever from the whoever of whatever, she was automatically flagged because it was her third trip. So she is subject to a more rigorous background check and will get her license by mail in two weeks if things check out.

Also, you can't pay for your license in cash.

Eff me.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Back in December (my birthday is in early January) I started a Facebook thread about this event. It started with me going online in November to get an appointment and the earliest available were in March. I got ahold of someone on the phone to help me fill out the form that you have to do before you go in. He recommended that Saturday's after lunch are the best time to go, shortest wait time.
    So this experience starts with me going in at about 1 p.m. and being told at the first station that "they are unusually busy for a Saturday afternoon." Of course, I expected nothing less.
    Cut to the chase: A total of four stations -- check-in, vision, form checker (hooray, no written test), photo.
    Total time in the office: 2-1/2 hours. Total time dealing with office personnel: 15 minutes. The final straw was at the very end, the photo, where TWO employees argued for 10 minutes over whether the people had to have their glasses on or off for the picture.

As my Facebook thread progressed, it got stupid, too. Friends offered suggestions, forgetting, obviously, that I was already ensconced in the process in Costa Mesa. You should have gone to San Clemente. Laguna Hills is OK, try there. Never go to Santa Ana if you value your life. And they also offered their experiences of 10 minutes at the Bumfuck office, 15 in the Horsesnot office. You should move to Idaho, it hardly takes any time there.

Fun fun fun.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

We renew them every four years in Ohio. One state congressman just announced a bill that would give people the option to renew every eight years. His reason -- to reduce lines.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's not the state agencies that are the problem here, it's the mandated but of course unfunded Real ID fed requirement. Because while Saudi Arabians can do what they please, we Americans are all potential terrorists.

Draft saved Draft deleted