1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB to Small Town America: Drop Dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Nov 18, 2019.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I also covered the Minnesota Twins in 2001 who were, supposedly, getting axed. Just threats.

In 2019, how many minor-league teams does an MLB team really need? On a medium Class A squad, how many of the 25 players will ever make the majors? One high draft pick?

2. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

From your description, I know exactly the area to which you refer. Yes, "New Gilead" is an accurate way of describing it.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Nostalgia is a lousy long-term business plan.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

New England is a good place for lower-A league teams in smaller towns. It's summer, and people here, being very old-fashioned, like baseball. The larger places are total Red Sox, Worcester (replacing Pawtucket) in AAA, Portland in AA, and Lowell in higher A.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Yes, please kill off the best way kids have to see games in person and at least get an interest in the sport.

idiots

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember people saying during the talk that the Expos and Twins would get contracted that there would be no way MLB would ever fold a team or allow one to go out of business because it would kill the value of every other franchise.

I’d imagine that would be the same for the minor leagues. If this plan goes through, even the teams that survive will lose value because now the precedent has been set that MLB is willing to kill off teams on a whim.

No town is also going to be willing to shell out millions for a stadium if there’s a risk that MLB swill just withdraw support.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Probably more than one. Problem is, you need teams consisting 90% of players who won't make the majors so you can play the games that prepare the 10% who will. Same as college football, or college basketball, where a miniscule percentage of the players make the NFL or the NBA.

No way extended spring training prepares future major-league players.

maumann, Batman and Mr. Sluggo like this.
  8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I finally looked up the list of what teams could be contracted.

Out here, a couple Northwest League (short-season A) teams would be shut down: Tri-Cities (SE Washington) and Salem-Keizer, Ore. And basically the entire Pioneer League (rookie ball) in Montana and surrounding states would close up shop.

I also notice two Mississippi River teams of the Midwest League, Burlington and Clinton, Iowa, would be contracted. If memory serves, those are both community-owned teams and stadiums (I could be wrong). Beloit, Wis., also would lose its Midwest League team (low-Class A level).

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

But the experience is pretty dreadful for most kids.

Even my son, who played baseball for years, hasn't been to a minor-league game in our city in 3 or 4 years. Last time we went, we made it 3 innings. Just not enough action. We feel the same way about college football. Yet we love NBA and hockey. Just more action.

However, major league baseball was different. During the Royals' run, even the regular-season games were exciting and there's lots to see. Minor-league games bored us to tears.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Get a hot dog.
    See the mascot.
    Walk the stadium.
    Get ice cream.
    Go to the kids area.
    Go to the gift shop .
    Watch some baseball.

Baseball now is fun. It’s not South Park.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Now do Royals baseball 2019.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If I were a mayor, city manager, city councilmember, etc etc, of any minor league city spending 10 cents of tax money for stadium renovations -- even the ones surviving the contraction -- I'm down there this morning banging on the desk with a sledgehammer to cut it off cold without another nickel.

Because after they contract these 45
    teams, in five years they'll be back to contract 45 more.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted