1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2019.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

And again, you've got Ciampa, Riddle and Lee, three of NXT's biggest names, and they're just casually thrown into the fracas at the end?

Why aren't they the mouthpieces?

Then you've got guys like Balor and Breezeango, who went back to NXT after feeling like they were misused in WWE. Why aren't they part of this charge?

The only saving grace for Sunday is that we'd have some bangers of matches in the three-ways.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

So are they deciding who NXTs 5 man team is on Wednesday? At Takeover? I dont get it.

i dont like the way 1/2 the Raw and Smackdown people ARE nxt. It makes no sense.

At least Bayley has of leaned into it on Twitter, saying she made the place, the new people cant hack it, etc. Said “HHH will forget you someday too.”

But we need that on TV. Otherwise its just color war.

3. nietsroob17

Imagine if Mark Callaway was the Gobbledy Gooker and Hector Guerrero was the Undertaker.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So Punk is on a show all about WWE wrestling, on the company's broadcast partner, but is employed by Fox and hasn't spoken to anyone in WWE?
    That's a weird arrangement.

He was freaking tremendous in his role, though. Once the hosts get their chemistry down, WWE Backstage could be incredibly entertaining.

Gutter likes this.
  5. nietsroob17

I think Fox is playing (or at least doing a good job at playing) this legit. Just like Troy Aikman does football color for them, but not for the NFL, or Barry Melrose the NHL for ESPN.

I think it's part of the reason why WWE played some generic music over "Cult of Personality" in the highlight clips from last week. They're not willing to pay any fees for him.

6. nietsroob17

I know there was the luster of being a woman at the broadcast table on Raw, but Renee Young is so golden in this environment.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Batman and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If he does come back as a wrestler, is that the biggest return pop in history? If it's at the Rumble, three other guys might enter before the crowd settles down.

9. nietsroob17

Without spoiling it so far, the Raw/SD "invasions" of NXT are coming off SO much better than vice versa. Undoubtedly helped by the molten crowds in Full Sail.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Plus, they also had Triple H “inviting” the other two brands down, so there’s a storyline reason for them being there, even if the brand supremacy thing is lame.

11. nietsroob17

Nice touch with the mic picking up the ref telling O'Reilly, "You've got 30 more seconds (until the commercial break)."

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So I flip back to AEW. They’re doing a Jericho walking around backstage segment. ... while they’re doing the split screen commercial, and we can’t hear what Jericho and Co. are saying.

Somebody messed up.

Draft saved Draft deleted