1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kaepernick sits out the anthem

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Aug 27, 2016.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I mean if he were actually good enough to overcome the baggage....

See Michael Vick

And yeah, I know I’ve said this before, but it’s true. Ya got guys like Tyreek Hill, who broke his 3 year old kid’s arm, playing and ya know why? Because to the Chiefs he’s worth the PR hit. Same with Kareem Hunt in Cleveland.

Why can’t the SJW’s recognize this? Kaep ain’t worth it, that’s all.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Because think about what you just said. The NFL will tolerate child and spousal abuse. But it won't tolerate kneeling during a song.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Adrian Peterson beat his child’s genitalia with a weapon, and is proud of it and would do it again, and he’s playing and acting like he’s a human being.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Kaep isn’t in the league for the same reason Michael Sam wasn’t in.

Not worth the attention-to-talent ratio.

I consider this the “Good Morning America” threshold.

If you’re in sports and GMA is talking about you at 7:03 and Strahan is stuttering his way through the script about your team or your players, that’s ultimately not good.

You being in Kaepernick and sign him, that’s the BEST day that you’ll have with the Kaep Experience.

If your starter throws two picks and Kaep doesn’t play, people who don’t watch football take over the narrative.

If you don’t play Kaep at all because you’re 12-4 with a great starter, people who don’t watch football take over the narrative.

If your starter gets hurt, Kaep plays okay for a game and the starter returns, people who don’t watch football take over the narrative.

If you ever release Kaepernick, people who don’t watch football take over the narrative.

If you play Kaepernick as starter, as a coach, you probably get fired unless he starts hitting his second read.

I LOVED Colin at Nevada and thought he could revolutionize the QB position with the 49ers. Except he never developed a second punch after defenses figured out his first.

Slacker, MTM, Batman and 2 others like this.
  5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I get all of that, and there's validity to much of it, but there's a key difference between Kaepernick and someone like Michael Sam: Kaepernick is a decent starter/really good backup at far and away the most important position in football. Sam was marginal at best.

There are teams that were a competent QB away from a serious playoff run over the last few years. They chose to miss the playoffs. That doesn't speak well of the league.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I kind of enjoy Stephen A but his knowledge of the NFL could fill a thimble.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Vick was terrible during his last two shots in the NFL. The talent he had previously shown led teams to mistakenly add him to their rosters.

You and exmediahack both make a good point. It isn't that he can't play. It's that he can't do enough to be worth the baggage. The difference with Kaepernick is that it feels like collusion because nobody will sign him in spite of some dire quarterback situations in the NFL this year. The Steelers started a rookie free agent who they had cut in training camp for a game. The Jets gave Luke Falk two starts. They were in a deep hole before they got Darnold back. (I know he hadn't been good until yesterday, but they didn't know that was going to happen.)

If it sounds like I don't have a strong position on this, I don't. You can't force teams to sign a guy who they don't want regardless of the reason they don't want him. I don't think what they have done to Kaepernick is right, but I'm not sure how you fix it other than what already happened. He had to take the league to court.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Maybe Kaep should be designated backup QB. He can travel around the league playing as a weekly fill-in for whoever needs him that week. Kind of like the old Highway to Heaven show.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Lawyers! It’s all due to lawyers!

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There's another difference. Sam got his shot and it didn't work out, same as anybody else. I honestly don't know how anyone could watch last night's game and think Kaepernick couldn't earn a job in the NFL. I wonder what will happen if some college QB endorses Warren before the draft. That's a position that threatens owners' wallets much more than the anthem kneeling thing ever could.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Kaep is not worth the PR? Is that on Kaep or is? Think about it, it’s such a sad commentary on us and our supposed undying support of the First Amendment rights that it’s now Kaep’s fault that he’s blackballed.

If you think this was not an NFL PR stunt, I disagree. How many “joint” workouts have ever been done before much less on a Saturday? That smacks of collusion right there. Did Kaep ask the NFL to do it? NO.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted