1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kaepernick sits out the anthem

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Aug 27, 2016.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I mean, if you want to pretend this, go ahead. It's bullshit, but people are clinging to some amazing phony stuff to justify the way he's been treated.

He opted out WHEN THE TEAM TOLD HIM THEY WERE GOING TO RELEASE HIM. He's been blackballed by the league. He was a (barely) average starter who suddenly couldn't get a workout anywhere.

The league did everything it could to hose him on this workout. He fought back on that. Good for him. This was not a gift horse. He knows no one is going to sign him. No need to help them demean him along the way.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

There were 24 reps from NFL teams set to be there first.
    There ended up being 8 reps from NFL teams.
    How'd that work out for you?
    Oh......as far as getting demeaned from the league.....him and the other whore Reid don't have problems with this and that from the NFL when they are looking at their bank statements each month.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

He had reps from Nike there today to shoot video for a commercial today.

4. PCLoadLetter

24. Or 11, depending which NFL statement you want to go with. And they were going to hide which teams they were. Then they announced them.

Then they said it was going to be totally closed -- no neutral people allowed, including the media. Meaning they could say anything about the workout and no one could refute it.

And they scheduled it on a Saturday to make sure it was as difficult as possible for teams to take it seriously.

He's been blackballed and this was on some level a set-up. I don't even see how anyone could argue that.

And honestly, dude... I've never had any beef with you so I'm not going to take any personal shots. You've always seemed like a reasonable guy. but this...

That's really ugly and sad and unnecessary.

Tarheel316 and JC like this.
  5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm not completely sold on the fact that he wants to be nothing but a martyr.
    You have reps from 3/4 of the league right there.
    No one is signing you today, but all 32 teams are getting video of you.
    Yet. Someone develops a beef and decides that the Falcons practice facility just simply can't work......and you move it to a high school.

6. PCLoadLetter

If he doesn't want to play and only wants to be a martyr why is he agreeing to a workout where -- by all accounts -- he showed up in great shape and looked ready to play today?

Why would he trust the league with a closed-door workout when he's already sued the league over his obvious blackballing?

The league contacted him for the first time on Tuesday and told him they were scheduling a workout for him on Saturday. Workouts are done on Tuesdays because the teams are busy on Saturdays, but the league said a Tuesday was out of the question. He would be given no say on the workout partners or location. No one outside of the teams who have been blackballing him would have access to the workout.

Why the hell would he trust that process?

And more to the point: what do you expect of him? What has he done that would suggest he's not interested in playing? I've spent three years listening to variations of "Well, if he REALLY cared he'd ______." And the blank changes every time, and it's usually something he's done.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Holy Fuck are you clueless.

matt_garth likes this.
  8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The nerve

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So, I take it we can all now move on from the notion Kaep will ever play another down in the NFL? Sadly.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Whatever the true nature of this workout, I think everything is conditional on him unbending the knee.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Nike has denied it had a film crew at the workout, FWTW.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, that and not making his presence on a team a media circus. That’s the bigger thing. If you make it clear that ESPN isn’t going to have a clear, daily line to your agents and coterie of social justice warriors, it’d go some way with NFL teams.

Draft saved Draft deleted