1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2019.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Here's an another angle of Mia's fall. Gotta be one of the sickest planned bumps I've ever seen a woman take in WWE.

2. nietsroob17

Interesting. In the replay of Punk's return on Smackdown, they dubbed over "Cult of Personality." I guess more proof that this is a Fox thing to bring him back, and not WWE.

3. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

It's also possible that it's a music rights issue. That stuff can be quite expensive.

EDIT: It's why you never see reruns of the sitcom WKRP in Cincinnati. Can't pay for the music snippets that appeared on the show.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  4. nietsroob17

I think it's also a matter where Fox cares about having Punk more than WWE does.

On another note, Mia Yim nearly killed herself 5 different ways Wednesday, and she's on Smackdown tonight. Three cheers to her.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That was what stunned me when they made that his music before. I always wondered if they licensed "Cult of Personality" the normal way or if they went to Living Colour and said, "Look, this is going to make you a shit ton of money off of downloads and spark life into a 20-year-old song. Let's make a deal."
    That topic also makes me think Jim Johnston might have been the most valuable employee in WWE history. God only knows how much keeping him on the payroll for 30 years saved them on music rights fees alone.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I was watching one of the Network’s mini-docs, which showed the behind the scenes stuff. In addition to a really nice moment with Rock and Billie Kay, there’s one with Stephanie and one of the seamstresses, who has been with them for 30 years. Steph was calling her the hero of the company and some other nice things. It was cool to see.

Batman likes this.
  7. nietsroob17

My God. Lana can't deliver a simple line without botching it twice.

But I do give credit for them showing "divorce papers" with their given names.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

What kind of dumb stupidity is this where Trips comes out to interrupt a damn good match between Owens and Drew, ... and then they go to commercial.

9. Baron Scicluna

And enough of this under siege shit. Why would any of them care about their brand?

Put some stakes up, like a kayfabe million dollar bonus to the winning team or something.

10. nietsroob17

And why aren't the actual teams saving their teammates. We get the Raw and SD job squads, and NXT's B team.

11. Baron Scicluna

And why do they even care?

This shit never gets explained.

12. nietsroob17

Couple years ago when they had SmackDown invade the Raw locker room, that was great. Same with last year in Becky's coming-out party.

This year's stuff, beyond that first SmackDown when NXT filled in with the roster stranded in Saudi, has felt forced and nonsensical.

Draft saved Draft deleted