1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Week 12

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The face value in the primo seats might be less than you think, since the real money is paid up front to the athletic department. Surely the unbought seats that are ending this streak are in the upper endzones and such where the school's not getting as much booster money.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is ND saying "the local businesses are done with the charade of buying up tickets to create sellouts.

It's a warning SEC schools are finally heeding. Give your fans a shitty opponent to watch, and they'll stay home. Navy doesn't move the needle. (And it should, it's a good team and fun to watch in person.)

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ray Tanner gave one of the HCs in major college football, Will Muschamp, a vote of confidence today.

He'll be out by the bye week in 2020, when the Cocks start 2-4 with a loss to East Carolina.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In my experience, when a home team sees a long sellout streak come to an end, it's about them, not whichever opponent is in town for the streak-ender.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Isn't the dreaded VoC a veiled appeal to donors to put up or shut up. $22m buyout before Jan. 1, 18.6m after. He's got four more years on the deal.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, probably. But he might as well coach through the bye week next year. He always could recruit, and he'll land another good class.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, it's about whichever boosters were buying up the tickets being tired of the charade and the AD's done asking for it. Once the sellout streak is gone things become a lot easier. You sell out what you sell out, and you don't what you don't, and you don't have to pretend anymore. ND is just done pretending.

Athletic departments have to deliver a better experience. Bench seating? I don't even get a cup holder? Limited replays because the school doesn't want to anger the conference or show plays that might go against Big State U? No thanks.

At least most have come around on selling beer.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Rent iPads for $10 a pop. Provide charging stations at or near every seat. This -- combined with the cost of improving the in-stadium wireless network -- would be prohibitively expensive, of course. And it would only work during night games because the glare from the sun would make the screen worthless.
    But seriously, I think this is the world we live in. Staying at home isn't merely cheaper; it's a better experience if you're a fan of the sport. And that is especially true in the playoff era, which has nationalized college football.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I imagine ND is the one school in the country that plays its home games whenever it damn wants to.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The new Birmingham stadium that UAB will be playing in is being built to accommodate this line of thinking. Wifi distribution was designed in from the jump and screens abound. Two big view screens. Several tiers of comfort levels, seating type varies with them. It's got an open plan, that is that there are lines of sight from the concourses so that people can drift a bit and still be able to see the game. There's a wedge of grassy field on the hill behind the end zone for kids to play in. Concessions are varied.

After years at Legion Field, a Calvin Coolidge era concrete tomb, it will be a definite culture shock.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I tried to bet the first half line and the over (-34 and 36 1/2, respectively) and they wouldn't let me.
    So I just took the -34. I think it's the biggest first-half line I've ever laid the points on, and I have little doubt Ohio State will at least score 35 in the first half.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

As much as it sucks to say this, I think we're resigned to having 2 SEC teams in the Final 4.
    LSU is locked barring lunacy.
    If Georgia beats Auburn, that hurts Oregon even more, since Auburn beat Oregon.
    If Auburn beats Georgia, that helps Oregon temporarily, but only til Iron Bowl.
    Auburn beats Georgia and Alabama, they still have all the trump cards from beating Oregon.
    However, I will still root for lunacy in the meantime.

Draft saved Draft deleted