1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett, Gatehouse talking merger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, May 30, 2019.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

You can easily do a data export of your google suite content. They email you a zip file when it’s done, and saves the time-consuming hassle of picking and choosing what you need throughout the day.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that you are giving top management far to much credit to have devised a rational plan. They have promised a seven percent reduction in costs almost immediately. I think it will be a bloodbath.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I got laid off from a Gatehouse shop in February 2019, and trust me, they're just as interested in the crumb-snatchers - I was making about $30k a year. The round after that - because of course there was one - they got the city editor and my replacement, who I believe was a part-time copy editor as well, who was probably making even less.

4. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Definitely checking to see exactly how much unused paid time off I have accrued, if I go down, I want every penny owed.

PaperDoll likes this.
  5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Some people get no time off and work 60 and get paid 40. It's why newspapers are sort of uh, lousy to work for.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I worked on unemployment compensation claims at one time in Colorado. The law at that time in Colorado was and still is that am employee did not receive unemployment compensation if they were fired for cause but would if they were terminated for economic reasons. There were economic incentives to the employer not to have the State pay unemployment to an employee (basically lower insurance premiums).

What frequently happened is that in the termination meeting the employee would be told that he was being let go without cause. Said employee would then go file for unemployment.

Meanwhile the employer would then report to the state unemployment commission that the employee was fired for cause. The employee, especially of they were non-union, was without a job anyway and really did not have the resources or to fight fr a couple hundred bucks a week of unemployment. And the employee would not receive unemployment.

So if I was working at McClatchy, Gannett or Gatehouse I would make damn sure I have a copy of my HR file. I would ask for said copy by e-mail to provide a written record of your request. I would also keep copies of any other documentation that demonstrates you were meeting standards of employment in case the company decides to try to screw you out of your unemployment.

Smallpotatoes and sgreenwell like this.
  7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Yes, and in that termination meeting, write down that you were told you were not fired for cause. Ask the HR rep to sign, right there. If the HR rep refuses, write the HR rep's name down anyway. Then ask for a document that specifies you were not fired for cause. If you are refused, write that down too. Document EVERYTHING.

Also: UNIONIZE YOUR NEWSROOM.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

My layoff experience at a horrible Gannett property a few years back ...

Was called into the HR executive conference room, where the EE told me my position was being eliminated, and the HR partner slid a folder over to me that had an explanation letter, a check that included all of my accrued vacation time, and included pay for the rest of that week (it was on a Tuesday).

The folder also included instructions on how to roll over or cash in my pension (about $30k), Cobra insurance instructions, and she asked me about 5 times about any mileage or other unreimbursed expenses I may have.

The HR person also called to check in a week later to see if I had any expenses I thought of that they needed to send me a check for.

Reasonable severance and no fighting the unemployment claims.

Now ... looking back, I rue every day I spent in that shithole, but they were more than fair to me when it came down to the "separation process."

I may be in the huge minority, but there are places that will try to do it the right way.

Having said that, if the building was on fire, I wouldn't waste an ounce of urine to try and put it out. Same on if the EE was in front of me, engulfed in flames.

sgreenwell and Tweener like this.
  9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Briefly, at our buyout meeting, the Executive Editor said the company would NOT contest unemployment claims. When I eventually had to go to court to get unemployment, I told the judge that the Executive Editor said the company would NOT contest claims. The judge said, "Well, they did." That judge ruled against me. In the final written appeal, a different panel granted my unemployment and their explanation of the decision was basically a synopsis of the state of newspapers. Amazing.

Tweener likes this.
  10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

What a story. How utterly despicable of the person to tell you they were not contesting unemployment claims. A flat out lie! This is why I despise suits. How can anybody back somebody flat out lying to the little guy!!! Tell me, Fredrick naysayers. Sickens me.

11. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

There is a town hall webcast scheduled for 10 a.m. on Wednesday. "We look forward to sharing exciting news." Disappointing there was no exclamation point.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I really need to unload whatever Gannett stock I have left (pretty sure it didn’t much).

Draft saved Draft deleted