1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School shooting in Santa Clarita, Ca.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by melock, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Make the purchaser of that weapon, or the legal owner, responsible, in part, to the crime.

You got guns in your house and your kid is nuts or you don't want to medicate them? That will be six months minimum in the state pen when they kill someone. Depraved indifference or something along those lines.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

But everything done in 1776 is sacred.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

That's a horrible response.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Why?

Did the men who drafted and signed their names have any Earthly concept of what America would look like in 200+ years?

I’m thinking they would have put a lot more thought into it.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Begging for applause there (again), he was.
    I'm surprised he got it. Seemed forced and reluctant, though.

P A T R I O T S !

6. Slacker

You can't really see 100-200 years into the future. At all.
    Did anyone even envision an Industrial Revolution in 1776?

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Oh, I think they put plenty of thought into it. I think they also put a lot of trust into it. That, apparently, was their mistake.

On another note regarding this particular shooting, I cannot imagine what that shooter must have been feeling to have decided to go on a shooting rampage, killing other kids, and then shooting himself in the head, on his 16th birthday. It's just...unfathomable, and unbelievably sad.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Yes because it had already begun

9. Slacker

My mistake. I meant the later (second?) Industrial Revolution, once the onset of electricity opened the doors for increasingly high-volume mass production, and then the internal combustion engines.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

FTFY

Vombatus likes this.
  11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

1776 was an interesting year because that was coincidentally when James Watt invented (or perfected) the steam engine. Also, in 1776 the breakaway United States was a largely agricultural economy with little industry.

The Industrial Revolution

But, school shooting.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If a kid throws a party while his parents are away for the weekend and someone has too much to drink and kills someone while driving home, in 16 states, the parents can be held criminally responsible.

If those same parents can't be bothered securing their guns and a kid gets a hold of them and shoots someone, maybe the parents should do some time, too.

Stonekettle Station: Bang Bang Crazy, Part 14: The Cowardice of Responsibility

qtlaw and Scout like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted