1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy to Declare Bankruptcy?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Maybe if your posts weren’t constantly rant first and ask questions later, you’d know that McClatchy has been in trouble for years. Almost all of the publicly traded companies are.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Full-Time Equivalent, actually.
    Two (or more) part-timers can be claimed as one FTE, for example.

Full-time equivalent - Wikipedia

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Wouldn't shock me if every other chain outside of GannettHouse were sidling up to the bar and getting their mack on.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I wonder how they can afford to cut so many at the one spot they are laying out so many newspapers. I wonder if they just will overwork the remaining layout people.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Layout people now are doing multiple sections a night (3 sports sections OR 3 A sections OR 2 A sections and one sports section, OR 1 A section and two sports sections). And they're making almost all the decisions on what wire stories to use (unless a news editor wants one for a section front). One wire person came up with a very effective naming convention to ostensibly "rank" the wire stories. That makes it much easier for designers not to overlook something that really should be a must-run.

Fredrick likes this.
  6. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Yup. This will totally end well.

7. Severian

You nailed it.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

CEO Craig Forman will be in the Charlotte offices Wednesday, I assume to talk about "exciting changes" and stuff. Good thing the employees recently had active shooter training in the building.

9. Severian

Fire Craig Forman.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Lot of activity this week ... are we looking at massive staff cuts at Gatehouse/Gannett, McClatchy and Tribune? Crazy times. I'm thinking worst company still is Gatehouse, followed by those Alden papers, then McCluckey.

11. Severian

Yes. The Gannet said there wouldn't be layoffs in newsrooms, aka there will certainly be layoffs in newsrooms.

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

MNI currently trading at 38 cents a share. Remember that a few years ago, it did a 1-for-10 stock split, so if you're scoring at home, a stock that was trading at a split-adjusted $75 only 15 years ago is now trading at 3.8 cents.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted