1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett, Gatehouse talking merger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, May 30, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't know if this is a sadder day for the industry or this board that you didn't need the blue font for this.

Liut and Baron Scicluna like this.
  2. Equalizer

Equalizer Member

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

It was 20 years ago this month that I was considering going to a Garnett paper to be their design editor. My biggest hangup was the rule that two stories couldn’t jump.

How far we have come.

Baron Scicluna and Liut like this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

6. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

7. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

Nothing about this is going to end well ... except the pay for the top executives. Somehow, that always gets better.

Fredrick likes this.
  8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

"But the advisory to editors is that 65% of the savings come from compensation to staff or stringers."

What? 65 percent cuts from newsroom needed right away?? Is this really what's happening?

9. Fredrick

10. Fredrick

Dan you are a good person. Congrats on being raised right way. I'm sure this is helpful to many. You are goodness personified.

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

The night before my "elimination" by GateHouse, when I was told I had to be in a meeting at 3 p.m. the next day, I copied everything from my desktop onto a flash drive, then deleted the originals. I didn't get a chance to get things out of my Google Suite, and they locked my account while I was in my meeting with the general manager, so make sure to get all of your copies from there, too.

Fredrick likes this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I imagine a ton of middle management suits are sweating bullets right now. The time for crumb-snatchers like us will come later.

Draft saved Draft deleted