1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 9, 2019.

1. You nailed it!!!
    I loved Cheap Seats ....
    The 22:50 mark of the second video is Floorwax at his hilarious zenith.

2. That makes up at least 1/4 of the hall of fame now. Garvey is Full-On Lock!

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not to forget "Honk if you're carrying Steve Garvey's child."

4. HanSenSE

Except, that looks like Candlestick in the background.

5. HanSenSE

I think he gets some "if they hadn't gone on strike" votes, no?

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    CD Boogie likes this.
  7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    maumann likes this.
  8. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Lou Whitaker once played an all star game in a jersey bought at a concession stand the day of the game. With the number drawn on in marker. If that is not a Hall of Famer, I don’t know what is.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

When I briefly flirted with switch-hitting in the mid 1980s, I tried to pattern my swing after Whitaker’s. So smooth and fluid, no hitch. I could do it — in wiffle ball, but not on the diamond.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It is Candlestick. The Stick had turf in the 70s, young whipper snappers.

As for Garvey, he’s the classic player where Gold Gloves were given on the basis of fielding percentage being king. No one had access to range numbers in the 70s, but Garvey’s are average at best.

Gold Gloves are a shit reason for Hall Of Fame consideration for almost anyone outside of obvious dudes like Ozzie Smith anyway. They’re the worst at letting offensive bias creep into voting and they’re definitely the worst when it comes to career-achievement awards. Using Gold Gloves as HOF criteria is as bad as using ASG appearances or Pro Bowl appearances in the NFL as a primary criteria.

Also, one of the reasons Garvey put up good counting numbers goes straight to his identity as a player. He played everyday. There’s something to be said for the durability, but Garvey never had a slugging average over .500. That’s also likely why he only topped 5 WAR once.

I saw someone say Don Sutton was a compiler. Garvey was the compiler, even if he was a compiler with a good work ethic.

He’s not a HOFer.

maumann likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

I know. Went to many a game there before, during and after the turf days. Besides, the tell to me was the orange box seats.

maumann likes this.
  12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Ballot has been released. 32 names on it, which seems rather small compared to recent ones.

Bobby Abreu, Josh Beckett, Heath Bell, Barry Bonds, Eric Chávez, Roger Clemens, Adam Dunn, Chone Figgins, Rafael Furcal, Jason Giambi, Todd Helton, Raúl Ibañez, Derek Jeter, Andruw Jones, Jeff Kent, Paul Konerko, Cliff Lee, Carlos Peña, Brad Penny, Andy Pettitte, J.J. Putz, Manny Ramírez, Brian Roberts, Scott Rolen, Curt Schilling, Gary Sheffield, Alfonso Soriano, Sammy Sosa, José Valverde, Omar Vizquel, Billy Wagner, Larry Walker.

Draft saved Draft deleted