1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

And this is why America is still the greatest country in the world.

TigerVols likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

SFIND likes this.
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Continuing my Tom Hanks marathon -- my daughter loves him -- we watched "Splash" last night. Man, that film from Ron Howard did not age well. From the scenes with John Candy dropping change to look up women's skirts to all the NYC cliches -- crazy taxi drivers, rude people -- the movie was just not that funny. Like, painfully unfunny, even with Eugene Levy.

Daryl Hannah was absolute smoke. But the film just made little to no sense. Tom Hanks as a kid just decides to jump off a ferry in Cape Cod, which might have you believe the kid is depressed. Nope, none of that. Just a whimsical thing and the kid ends up seeing a mermaid, who is supposed to be a young Daryl Hannah. Later, as an adult, after his gf leaves him, he decides he wants to vacation in Cape Cod, though he doesn't know or say why.

The whole movie is kind of a mess. But naked Daryl Hannah, sweet Tom Hanks, and John Candy as the oafish brother who loves Penthouse magazine I guess had its charms.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Doctor Sleep was so, so, so good. A worthy successor to Kubrick's film in every way.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Two words, bro. THE BURBS.

CD Boogie and bigpern23 like this.
  6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I loved that damn movie. So dark, so funny.

garrow likes this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Awesome on a bunch of levels: Hanks is great of course. The late Rick Ducommun is hilarious. So is Brother Theodore. And Bruce Dern has one of my favorite lines "It came with the frame."

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Bruce Dern was so good. And when he fell off the roof after Corey Feldman yelled, “Hey, Rumsfeld!” I laughed about as hard as I ever have.

garrow likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

My other favorite line:

bigpern23 likes this.
  10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Having shifted to PR a few year back, I start all my media scrums with “is anyone here from penthouse magazine?”

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Can't believe I forgot about that one! Next in the queue.

garrow likes this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Once I found "Rounders" on Netflix last night, that was that. Such a solid movie.

I remember seeing it with my wife (then-girlfriend) when it came out and her hating the ending. What's not to like, guy leaving it all to chase it in Vegas?

bigpern23 and Deskgrunt50 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted