1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Oct 3, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's still one or two very good stories in there every month and I am convinced it could still work as a print product, but like so many other corners of journalism, it's had terrible ownership. Several owners ago it was Emmis Communications, and its regional/city magazine holdings included Texas Monthly, Atlanta, Orange County, L.A. and Indianapolis Monthly. (My wife worked for Indy Monthly back when the industry was still humming; I miss researching the "best steakhouse" issue.) But Emmis sold them off piecemeal, keeping only Indy, and they have all had various levels of suffering.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

One product I'm really interested in watching is the Golfers' Journal. Quarterly hardcover with a ton of interesting photography and different storylines. Good writers too -- Shane Bacon and D.J. Piehowski among them. Interesting product.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don’t have any issue with SI morphing into a monthly, and I think it’s probably wise, but I think the three to four week dark period after close is a disaster. It will work well sometimes. It will embarrass them often. It works with GQ and VF because often those profiles are tied into movie releases and timed by PR machines to come out at the right time and no one who works for Brad Pitt is going to fuck over VF by giving an interview to GQ if they’ve negotiated exclusivity. I can tell you from experience that sports agents and sports PR people don’t think this way and you’ll need to retrain them as much as anything. I suppose you could go full New Yorker and write about obscure sports figures, try to get real literary and find stories on the margins. But I’ll be fascinated to see how you build a whole magazine out of that approach.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Terrible ownership tends to be a catch-all on here for why publications have failed or are failing. But Emmis bought Texas Monthly in the late 90s when the magazine had a lot of subscribers, regionals were doing relatively well, there were ad dollars that nobody will pay anymore (and hadn't left for cheaper online visibility). ... and reputationally it was at the top of its game. When Emmis sold it a few years ago, it sold it for substantially less than what it had paid for it almost 20 years earlier. Subscriptions had dropped. That isn't a business that is in good shape.

This really is a function of consumer demand for something changing dramatically, not bad ownership destroying something that was still viable. The reason private equity was buying when Emmis was ready to unload is that is what a certain area of private equity does. It tries to salvage things that are already failing and that few others are interested in as an investment anymore. If they can keep it alive and get it to throw off cash, they'll collect a dividend for as long as they can. Or if they can cut costs and make it look profitable, they'll stick around for as short a time as possible -- just long enough to sell it (which was what happened with Texas Monthly). The private equity buyers often come with staff layoffs and a lot of turnover, unfortunately, and worse, it often means changes to the product that people who appreciated what it had been, hate (usually rightfully so, because they are changes to make production cost less).

Texas Monthly may still be good the way you said. I am ashamed to say I haven't looked at it in a while -- I once subscribed and no longer do; I saw a change in it several years ago. But just in the period after Emmis sold, it lost a good EIC, had a lot of turnover, and there was an allegation that it sold its cover to a dating website, which wasn't a good look for something that had been known for its good journalism in its heyday.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure this isn't the ownership to make that happen.

And as you say, VF isn't a very good analog, because it's not like Brad Pitt blowing out a knee in practice renders your "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" profile unusable.

In the digital age, I'm not sure there's a workable monthly model, even as a classy, high-gloss loss leader.

And the Athletic has probably already outflanked SI as a go-to general sports source on the internet.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'd guess a reason why Brad Pitt (or just as likely a movie studio) is eager to time things with VF, or give exclusives when it serves their needs, is that they rely on the promotion to make their money. Perhaps a publication like VF still plays a role in selling movie tickets (although I'd also guess that role has lessened and continues to, with digital becoming more important).

Sports agents and team PR people will probably never have the same kind of motivation. Sporting event viewership or ticket sales are not going to be driven by a monthly print magazine in any appreciable way; not in this day and age.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It is curious to note how much the percentage considered to be 'terrible ownership' increased after 1999. All those competent companies and people refusing to invest in journalism these days because . . . something.

Alternative weeklies existed on adult ads for decades. Boston Magazine is a promotion for Boston nightlife and local real estate that sells full-on, 20-page 'Best Dentists in Boston' advertisements. It's lucky if an article a month is interesting. Good writing doesn't pay its own way.

How is SI every going to do a monthly based on features, when the market of potential readers has been getting info about sports on the internet for 20 years? When podcasts are a potential replacement and actual attempts at something approximating this new format have failed?

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I love their business model: absolutely zero free reads online, a pretty stout subscription price with no discounts, limited advertising from sponsors that are blue-chip companies in the golf space. And the product is pure golf storytelling and photography, like you said -- no tips on how to get out of bunkers, equipment ratings or Tiger updates.

Had a story published there and made the obligatory social media posts for friends, it was weird to post without a link. Yet I tip my cap wholeheartedly.

Double Down likes this.
  9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

For SI, I think the print product is its side hustle. I would move swimsuit to that, and make all content in the print version not viewable online.

The web product is the bread and butter, and I'd start looking into streaming live sports.

But the company is now controlled by insane people running a pyramid scheme, so none of this will happen.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Is their website really making money? And the industry has been pyramid-scheme like since the day GateHouse was formed.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Make the Where are They Now? issue 10 times a year and I'd definitely keep subscribing. But I'm probably part of a limited audience for that so not a good way to stay relevant. MacCambridge mentioned on Twitter that Inside Sports, while a monthly, had a much tighter close time.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

If they start streaming live sports it could possibly. It's a better business plan than the pyramid scheme, IMHO.

Draft saved Draft deleted