1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Oct 3, 2019.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Pilot likes this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Whoa. With a "close time" of 3-4 weeks for content, so that's that for anything timely. A good question for the Obscure Sports Trivia thread on AG would be to name the last sporting event that SI covered on deadline for the print issue.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My subscription will never end.
    The three week lead time is brutal - they use to close the night before printing. Honestly - no more coverage of championships. They may as well go back to nature, birding and essays on boating.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

What a terrible decision. I guess I'll be letting my sub run out next year

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It can still be a must-read for me with this decision. Really, every two weeks or every four weeks isn't that different, I don't think. What made SI so great in the past was that you had both amazing deadline writing and the great features and profiles. You had Jenkins on Notre Dame-Michigan State mixed in with takeout pieces. You had Kram on Ali-Frazier and then great profiles in same issue. I wanted to read McCallum on Game 6 of the Finals, mixed in with great profiles. Shipnuck and Bamberger days after a major. Rushin right after the 91 World Series. Those gamers are often as memorable as many of the features people remember.

But I think that was pretty much lost already once it ceased being a weekly. So as long as they can keep producing great features and newsy pieces, I'll still be reading. It sucks for the photography, because so many great shots were from a great event that finished a few days earlier. Three or four-weeks out now, are the covers all going to be profile type shots? If they do go the Vanity Fair route? Or maybe there's just a huge section inside with best of photography? Sort of like what they had at front of the mag but expanded? And great pics are timeless, so if they have something that hasn't been out there before from a game, I think it can still be a cool place for photography.

It's another slice into the SI of our memory and of our youth and from the mag that was one of the best in the country, but in the present I don't think it has to be a death blow and they can still do great work.

7. DanOregon

When they went to twice a month they said it would allow the mag to produce the kind of issues and page counts it was known for. So the 68 page weekly issues, jumped to 82 or so twice a month (still a loss in pages per month) and now they're back down to 68 pages every couple of weeks. I'd love it if it became meatier. More extra-long profiles or stories about corruption (ala The New Yorker). The history of the managing company doesn't really speak to that though.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sorry but the sports world moves too fast for a three to four week lead time.

playthrough, HanSenSE and wicked like this.
  9. DanOregon

If you take a 30,000 foot approach and look at "big issues" like how the NCAA would implement players to collect on their own likeness, the changing economics of baseball, the future of the Olympics, why MLB wants to downsize the minor leagues, how many high school ath;etes are on "work visas" etc.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Sports Illustrated attempting to become the New Yorker strikes me as a 'smart' thing for them to do - the name probably still has some value. But as you say, the managing company doesn't give me any faith that they could execute it even if they tried.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Let’s imagine writing a piece about the NCAA and amateurism. You do exhaustive reporting. You get a great angle. You get it all ready. You close.

Now you wait a month and pray nothing changes. A month! That your source doesn’t talk to Yahoo or ESPN or the Times. Or that your source doesn’t declare he’s playing in Australia instead of going to Duke. SI becoming the New Yorker but with Vanity Fair’s deadlines strikes me as almost impossible.

Lugnuts and wicked like this.
  12. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted