1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR is not for the birds

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Oct 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

OK, call me gullible - and I'm well aware that these are the best drivers and best cars and they put them at the front because they WANT the race for the checker at Homestead to also be for the NASCAR season championship - but do the other drivers back off? Give the final four extra room and not really compete? Seems odd that one of the four has won Homestead the last six years.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, a three-hour, 400-mile race with only four cars -- or even eight, or 12, or 16 -- would be pretty damn boring.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if it's explicitly said to stay away from them, but I'm sure there's at least a gentleman's agreement or an understanding not to screw around too much with those four. Like if the non-championship drivers happen to be running up front in the last 30-40 laps that's one thing, but they get out of the way if the championship drivers are trying to pass. You see that a lot in normal races, where lapped drivers won't block the leaders at the end of the race. It's a professional courtesy. At Homestead it maybe gets kicked up a notch, whether consciously or subconsciously.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This is what happens when you put restrictor plates on birds. The big one is inevitable.

wicked, 2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

F1 puts 20 on the grid. They don't find excuses to put out a safety car with 10 laps to go. It's not boring.

I get what you're saying, Batman. But they want to have their cake and eat it, too. Either they all race - and the contenders can STFU when someone battling for 38th gets in the way - or take the non-contenders out during the playoffs and stop with the shocked faces when crap like what triggered them to stick their noses in it merely as a reaction occurs.

Do the other 3o teams schedule 15 games during Super Bowl week if they don't make it? Do the other 28 teams schedule best-of-seven series that don't make the NBA Finals?

Yes, I'm taking these examples to extremes. But NAScrap is full of ... crap.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted