1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin editor quits, blasts G/O management

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Did you apply yet @Smallpotatoes ?

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Re., Laura Wagner:
    I understand the passions involved quite well.
    I don't like being lectured to about journalism by someone who began high school in 2007.
    The Deadspin millennials act like they're the only ones who've ever had jobs ripped away from them by clown overlords.

3. Songbird

You're on her watch list now. #SSWagner

cake in the rain likes this.
  4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

So this, I definitely agree with. I've been super sympathetic to the death of Deadspin -- as an idea, anyway -- but I was listening to the Curtis/Shoemaker pod this morning, and they had Rob Harvilla on (former Deadspin culture editor) and Harvilla opined that the Deadspin writers had the "greatest Wins Above Replacement level" of any website in history.

Oh my.

Look, I get that something that was deeply important to these people was blown up, but let's be clear too: they essentially decided to blow up their suicide vests when things, to them, felt untenable. I'll give people some space to eulogize themselves and romanticize what they felt they had, but that's also the kind of thing Deadspin made fun of -- often viciously -- for a number of years. We saw some of this with Grantland too. We were the greatest place for writing that ever was, and the bastards, they killed it. Did they? Or did you kill it because it was going to be different than your ideal version of it, which (sorry to say) is what has happened to every single media entity that has existed since the beginning of time?

Anyway, this was always the way Deadspin needed to go out, nuking itself in a fit of self-righteous glory. It's the only thing that would have felt fitting. I admire that they had principles, even if I didn't always agree with their principles.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  5. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

And if Deadspin was as indispensable as they believe it was, the now-unemployed writers should have no problem creating their own outlet for which they will have no nasty pop-up advertising or evil owners to tell them what to do. It will be wildly successful, immensely profitable and a journalistic triumph.

6. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Thanks for more or less articulating my feelings on the matter. I hadn't fully considered the irony of it until you mentioned it. Deadspin and that whole era of blogs rose to prominence by mercilessly ripping the shit of people and institutions who took themselves too seriously. At some point in the last handful of years, Deadspin itself clearly crossed that threshold.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think part of what’s happened is a realization, among many of those self-hating, sniping Deadspinners, is that they were more liked and appreciated than they thought and, seeing that outpouring on Twitter makes clear what they gave up. I imagine it’s very hard when the “fuck you fuckers” thing is eulogized by so many not named Barstool.

8. Songbird

Hope someone writes something about the "scabs" meme being RT'd (not Russia Today) and shared on FB.

It's sad comedy of the highest order.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I said this earlier on the thread. ... I think that irreverance has a defined lifespan before you inevitably become the kind of thing you used to show no respect toward. It's one thing to stand outside the scrum and lob molotov cocktails. When you become well-known enough to be perceived as the scrum, that changes. I was thinking about SPY magazine in the 80s and early 90s, which was about the coolest thing in the world. ...and ended up as a caricature of itself at the end.

Also, sometimes outlets like those are a function of the people who founded them and the early editors. And when they are gone, you find out that they were an essential ingredient. Putting aside the profitability or lack of profitability and what that means for being able to do the kind site it was set up as, was deadspin already a shadow of what it had been when Denton was still around, and when Will Leitch, and even Daulerio were running the show? I say that as someone who hasn't paid as much attention to the site as some of you have, so I am asking, not saying. ...

10. Songbird

I'm all for raging against the machine. But what's still lost in this is that the Deadspinners were told they still could write about the 3.5% if it worked within the sporting context. In no way were they handcuffed. That they would burn it all down because they felt so put-upon is what's so amazing.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

all part of the self-dramatization

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted