1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin editor quits, blasts G/O management

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think it’s kind of a joke don’t you think?

She pops off at times I find her work to be pretty tame. It reads harsh but the ideas are pretty tame. It’s a good way to describe that’s been, in fact.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Sure, but what's the point here? Most people tweeting about the economics said that Deadspin was turning a profit before the sale to G/O. Heck, I imagine that even with the shitty stream of stories the past few months, their web traffic was probably neutral to positive, because people love a good controversy on the Internet. But by antagonizing the staff to the point that they all quit, you basically degrade the asset completely. Who's going to want to read Zombie Deadspin? You might as well not even bother hiring replacements, just shutter the site and save some cash. Who's going to want to advertise on it?

poindexter likes this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What did the food writer do? (I’m serious. I don’t pay enough attention to know what the food writer did over the years.)

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The new owners are private-equity scum suckers.

There was never going to be a good ending to this and these writers at least left on their own terms.

Big Circus and matt_garth like this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I give a lot of credit to people bailing out of a situation they wanted no part of - some of those parting shots on Twitter will probably end up holding back their careers though. The new owners may be idiots, but you don't want to hire someone so willing to go along with mass resignation or someone who doesn't have qualms about ripping management.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Help me with this: are the writers giving up severance (or anything else owed to them) by quitting instead of being fired?

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I would assume, as a union shop, that fired employees get severance, but I don't know for sure.

I know of one case (not Deadspin, obviously) where a writer quit on principle rather than being fired, which he was about to be, and lost six figures in severance as a result. I don't think I'm nearly that noble.

8. typefitter

I have no time for "blogger whose schtick is to be unreasonably angry about esoteric things, like sodium," which is what he was in the beginning, but then he evolved into that site's eminent sniffer of his own farts.

9. Sly

Sly Active Member

Fuck Barstool forever. Anyone who finds watching a yammering Trump wannabe eat pizza entertaining is a f-in simpleton.

poindexter likes this.
  10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Bye, Deadspin.

11. typefitter

That’s a big one. Is he still at GQ? He’s supporting a family, unlike most of the rest of the resigners. Tough spot.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

No, he moved over to Gen. And that's not a big one. That's THE big one. They have nothing left worth reading.

Webster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted