1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 9 NFL Thread: Smoke 'em If ya got 'em Ray Mansfield edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 29, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

His message grew stale and he lost the fan base. But replacing him with a supposed young whiz who has turned out to be miles short of a whiz certainly makes one long for the 7-9 days. The Dalton benching is completely baffling. It's like watering the plants while your house is on fire.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Where Brown kills the Bengals are:
    1. Lack of scouting department/real front office
    2. Refusal to pay money for free agents.

3. amraeder

This is basically where I am with Lewis. He was probably solid, though he had some infuriating tendencies - refusal to play rookies, inability to make the right decision about a challenge, ever, overly conservative.

4. amraeder

Definitely not the biggest problem! Lack of LBs and OL areare bigger issues AND they're because of bad drafting and absolute refusal to sign free agents. And both of those problems have the root in Brown being a fucking cheapskate. And Dalton does some things well. But he does some things really poorly - like bailing on plays for no good goddamn reason and opting for checkdowns way too early - that limited him as a QB.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree on both counts. I'm just saying it's not like they never had talent during Lewis's tenure. Of course, they also had some piss-poor luck, like Carson Palmer's torn ACL in the 2005 playoffs. Hell, that team hung with the eventual champion Steelers with Kitna at quarterback.

6. amraeder

and the 2015 Bengals were great until Dalton went down.

7. amraeder

I also really wonder how good Palmer coulda been if he stayed healthy.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not sure I can agree with that.

You think Dan Snyder's ownership hasn't help make a mess in D.C.?
    Jerrah and his insistence on being his own GM in Dallas?
    You think having the Rooney family oversee things in Pittsburgh hasn't helped the Steelers?
    The mess in Cleveland ... Lerners being too hands-off, Haslam convinced he'll reinvent the wheel there?
    The ownership mess in Miami?

Too many examples to dismiss bad ownership. Yes, some places overcome ineptitude in that department. But bad ownership can put a franchise on the wrong foot.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The collapse of the Broncos because of the ownership disaster currently going on.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good stuff.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Correct. Question is, will the rest of the Bowlen family continue to let John Elway tinker with this, or do they finally pull the plug and, in essence, start anew?

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Bowlens currently aren't in control of the team. Pat Bowlen's trust comprised of three people is. And there have been lawsuits and family squabbles to gain control of the team. Which is to be expected with that many siblings involved.

And I can understand it having been in charge of two large estates with a big company and a good chunk of money involved (though not that big). I/our families have been very lucky that the six of us who are beneficiaries of my sister's and brother-in-law's estates have worked through it all pretty well. Disagreements, yes, but overall, we've gotten through it. But when money gets to be that big, I can totally see how it tears apart those wanting control.

Draft saved Draft deleted