1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houston PR vs. the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't think Taubman was keeping his job in any way, shape or form in a "competent handling" scenario.

The way to have done it was to put him on immediate indefinite suspension/leave, investigate thoroughly, come to the obvious conclusion, and cut him in a few weeks.

From afar, it seems like the Astros may have had some ax to grind with the reporter in question for things she's tweeted before, and Taubman, half in the bag, had that line ready to deliver.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Astros swung and missed three different times with their reaction

1. Trashing SI and saying "FAKE NEWS"
    2. Giving the "I apologize if anyone was offended" and talking about their chickenfeed charitable works
    3. The GM going on the radio yesterday saying that there are two sides

So why was the douchebag the only one fired?

3. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

this is purely a guess, but I would guess that Taubman was directly involved in the first statement—if he didn't write it, it was based on a false account that he gave—and that was why the axe came so quickly for him. because that first statement was demonstrably false and libelous.

i don't root for people to get fired generally (or hurt etc.). But I am pleased by today's news.

Old Time Hockey likes this.
  4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

The only way I see Taubman somehow keeping his job is if he admitted to being an idiot the night it happened or the Astros suspended him before the SI story came out. In that scenario, there's a sliver of hope for him to stay on board. But the moment the story dropped and the organization doubled down, he was gone. And just so we're perfectly clear, the right decision was ultimately made. Someone like that in the front office has to go. At the very least, he was a walking liability.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He won't be the last one gone. MLB is involved now, and now that Taubman is fired, you're going to hear the word "culture" from the media. And though it's thrown around a lot - too much - it is appropriate here. I doubt Taubman is alone, among Stros brass, in having it out for this particular woman.

Could be a reckoning coming in Houston. Players will be pissed, too.

MeanGreenATO likes this.
  6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Not for nothing but why is a team exec half-drunk while technically on the job?
    I am no prude but this is a no-no for me whether you're an AGM or the ice cream man.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Do we know that? I haven't heard that

8. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

First of what ought to be many firings. Clean house and start over

9. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

"I can give him to ya (big, wide smile)."

Armchair_QB likes this.
  10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They're really going out of their way to be assholes. One has to assume that's because that's what the owner wants.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Sorry, Jeff, for losing sight of the real victim in all of this.

Draft saved Draft deleted