1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It’s not like a paywall is a novel thing anymore. Plenty of people tweet links to Times and Post stuff.

Fran Curci and ondeadline like this.
  2. What's he supposed to do, not tweet out links to his own stories because they're paywalled? How are you going to get people to subscribe if you don't promote it?

Fran Curci likes this.
  3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Journalists: Newspapers were stupid by giving away everything for free online.
    Also journalists: What? You mean it's behind a paywall? Pass.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

You talking about regular reporters and copy editors? Why shouldn't they comment this way? It's the suits' fault this was all screwed up. And they continue to make so much money compared to the reporters and editors who can't get a cost of living raise and are forced to work 60-70 and get paid 40. Meanwhile the suits who made so many bad decisions regarded the newspaper web sites make so much money it'll make your head spin.

Doc Holliday and Severian like this.
  5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Frederick makes a very good point.

Management screwed everything up with how it chose to give content away when reporters were screaming not to give it away. Now that they've given it away so much, nobody is willing to pay for it creating this Quasimoto Catch-22 with paywalls. Neither makes sense now, yet here we are living in this world. Make the right decision when this all started, and you don't have this problem.

Fredrick likes this.
  7. authletic

authletic New Member

Let me make sure I follow you. It is appropriate that journalists should deride The Athletic's Danny Taylor, four-time Football Journalist of the Year award winner in the UK, for promoting his work, because newspaper executives in the United States are lazy and overpaid.

8. Writer

Writer Member

9. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Of the few "Why I'm with The Athletic pieces" that I've read, that was among the most interesting and compelling.

RonClements and HanSenSE like this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Athletic "2.0" - when they transition from former local beat writers to people from outside the area will be interesting to watch.

Tweener likes this.
  11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted