1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy are the movies Joker desires to crib from. But Arthur Fleck is more like a manchild. I don’t think you’d move seats the minute Travis Bickle sat down. This guy? Oh yes.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I watched "Avengers: Endgame" while floating and lounging around the Lido Deck pool, "Rocket Man" as an after-dinner treat in the Universe Lounge, and the remake/sequel of "Mary Poppins" -- "Mary Poppins Returns" -- while munching popcorn at a night of Movies Under the Stars.

Just based on that alone, I'd say that, yeah, it was a good cruise.

I'm hopelessly behind in my movie-watching, obviously, but I have to say they were all really good. "Avengers" was especially absorbing to me, and "Mary Poppins" was surprisingly good (I don't think I've ever actually watched the original one in its entirety), and I liked "Rocket Man," too, probably just because I'm a big Elton John fan.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    maumann likes this.
  3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

“Zombieland: Double Tap” was quick and fun. Pretty much a retread of the original. I missed a bit of the last 30 minutes riding out a headache, but I slipped back in before the finale and didn’t really miss a beat. That kind of movie.

4. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Try to watch the whole original Marry Poppins if you can.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Francis Ford Coppola Jumps on Bash Marvel Bandwagon, Calls MCU 'Despicable'

"When Martin Scorsese says that the Marvel pictures are not cinema, he's right because we expect to learn something from cinema, we expect to gain something, some enlightenment, some knowledge, some inspiration," Coppola said while speaking to journalists after collecting the Prix Lumiere in France for his contributions to cinema; an award Scorsese has previously won.

"Martin was kind when he said it's not cinema," Coppola continued. "He didn't say it's despicable, which I just say it is."

He went on to say, "I don't know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again," so there's nothing really for moviegoers to get out of the experience of watching them.
    Exactly.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

So what were we supposed to learn when Frankie took those sweet Disney dollars and made Captain EO?

7. CD Boogie

I wasn't familiar with Captain EO until just now, but a little research says it's a 17 minute film that basically aired at Disney themeparks, so I don't know that it was making any claims to change the world. And it didn't spawn 1000 follow-ups with the same heroic narrative arc outlined by Joseph Campbell in the Hero with a Thousand Faces.

8. Regan MacNeil

It just means he's not above taking a paycheck and putting out pablum for the masses, which he claims is despicable.

9. CD Boogie

Just because he might be a hypocrite doesn't mean what he said was wrong. Scorsese doesn't put out pablum.

10. Regan MacNeil

I just don't understand why they give a fuck. People enjoying superhero movies doesn't take anything away from what they do. People can like Iron Man and Goodfellas.

Seems like they're just being curmudgeonly dicks about it.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They are, which is probably why CD is so happy to take their side.

How many MCU movies do you think Scorsese and Coppola have watched between the two of them? One? Two?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The Laundromat; like a very light souffle, looks inviting, then there's nothing substantial there. Meryl Streep in the lead, Banderos, Oldman, thinking this is going to be good. Shell corporations, that's it??

Draft saved Draft deleted