1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The "Est" scene from Semi-Tough has some of my all time favorite movie lines. Here in all its glory.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Recently had two lengthy flights. Saw 4 movies -- Rocketman, Long Shot, Book Smart and Toy Story 4.
    Although Adam Sandler is very annoying, his movies always have a bunch of hilarious moments. Add in Charlize and Long Shot was my favorite of the bunch. Rocketman was very trite. Book Smart was OK but boring. Toy Story 4 is a fine movie except I'm an adult.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What's the Sandler movie?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seth Rogan - same difference.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That sounds right. He often recycles his own stuff.

That said, at least some of the things referred to as great speeches by Bartlett on The West Wing happened entirely off screen or we only got to see parts of them. The biggest exception I can think of the speech about American heroes in part two of "20 Hours in America."

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Geezus, my mistake. But as DanOregon says, no difference. And if Charlize is in the movie, who cares who else is?

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Joker is a strange movie about a real creep of a person. Mentally ill? Sure. Not his fault he's a creep? OK, yeah, I'll buy that. But I was thinking about the characters of whom Arthur Fleck reminded me, and I came up with the weirdo from Gone Baby Gone, and the weirdo from Prisoners, a couple of sickos who aren't the main villains of the movie. Maybe the villain in the first True Detective.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Watched "American Gigolo" last night because it popped up as a recent add on Netflix and I hadn't seen it in years. Man, quite a period piece for early 1980s California. Remarkably light on the cocaine use. Richard Gere, who is empirically a ridiculously good-looking fella, has about as much range as Derek Jeter. Lauren Hutton -- who as a side note, my buddy almost ran over in the Hamptons one day and whose life I might have saved by alerting him to her jaywalking in front of our car -- also gives a wooden, weird performance, basically stalking Gere. Even my fiance was confused by her status as a supermodel. She's not particularly attractive, even back then when she was quite young. Oddly, she refrained from ever flashing her patented gap tooth in the movie.

The best performance is probably from Gere's gay pimp, one of the best That Guys of the 1980s -- Bill Duke, who was also in Predator, Action Jackson, Commando, and Bird on a Wire.

[​IMG]

For some reason Gere smokes 100s in the movie, which I couldn't stop laughing at.

upload_2019-10-17_9-14-16.jpeg

It's an entertaining movie with some awful acting.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

No DeNiro roles came to mind? Just from the casting and watching bits of the trailer, I made connections to two of his characters.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That guy Duke was really good; Gere is a treasure, primal fear, internal affairs, officer and a gentleman, etc. damn

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He definitely got better as an actor. He was downright stiff in that role, however. Also very good in Pretty Woman.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Long Shot was fun. Toy Story 4 was incredibly well animated and mostly fun, but I hated the ending. Ruined the movie for me. Also, being an adult and enjoying Toy Story (or animated films, in general) are not mutually exclusive.

Draft saved Draft deleted