1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm sorry your experience with religion has been like that. I've never been told what to do by a pastor or my faith. Unless you're counting things like "help the needy" or "feed the hungry" or "welcome the stranger."

But you're right, you don't have to be religious to follow the Golden Rule. The fact we humans can't seem to live by such a simple philosophy is a real indictment of us. Call it sin or whatever you want.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You said you belong to the United Methodist Church. I know enough about the religion to know that if you are really following it as your faith as the church itself directs, it's perfectly in line with my experience with various religions. I just need to point out the obvious one. ... The practice of homsexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching.

To me, that is the antithesis of the golden rule.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

For the soul there is neither birth nor death at any time. He has not come into being, does not come into being, and will not come into being. He is unborn, eternal, ever-existing, and primeval. He is not slain when the body is slain.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Science is my response to any claim of god. The former explains the world much better than any concept of god or religion.

I don't like the term 'atheist.' 'God' is a subject not worthy of discussion. All signs point to 'no.'

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Every American Christian should make a point of reading Emerson's essay 'The Over-Soul.'

His notion of the 'common heart' and the connectedness of every soul is a beautiful argument on behalf of community.

In many ways American transcendentalism is a collective answer to the selfishness inherent in our national fetish for individualism.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You use the word selfish as a perjorative. Isn't that the point of individualism? Selfishness is being concned with your own welfare or advantage. Individualism means you are self reliant. It's all part and parcel of the same thing.

I am guessing, and I apologize if I am mischaracterizing what you believe in, that you assume that a selfish person necessarily stabs the next guy in the back to get what he wants.

But that gets back to what I said about the golden rule. More "selfish" people are like me -- believe in the golden rule -- than you might assume, because it is in our self interest to have an orderly society. To the extent that there are people -- maybe a Donald Trump -- who will hurt someone else for their short-term gain without regard for the consequences of that later on, it is why I also favor a system of laws that put limits on everyone. i.e. -- be as selfish as you want, but the minute you infringe on the next guy trying to be selfish, you need to be stopped.

Laws against murder or stealing make sense from that standpoint. Or else, I guess you can just look in a bible to figure out why you shouldn't kill someone.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It isn't just Christian teaching that has a problem with homosexuality. The same can be said of Judaism, among others. My grandfather's brother was raised an Orthodox Jew. He was a deeply religious man and one of the kindest people I ever met. He was also homosexual, though he never fully came out to his family. He did quietly leave the Orthodox congregation of his youth for a Reformed one that was more accepting. He died about five years ago and I do wish he had been willing to talk with us about it. He was able to reconcile his sexuality and his faith even though the organized religion he grew up with told him they were not compatible.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's why the UMC is undergoing a great schism right now. A whole lot of us (mainly in America) disagree with 304.3 and 341.6 in the Book of Discipline.

We agree it is against the Golden Rule. And violates the UMC creed of "Open Hearts. Open Minds. Open Doors."

TowelWaver likes this.
  9. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

As someone who follows BYU football religiously ..... I'm staying out of this one.

Alma likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm honestly not sure if "selfishness" and "informed self-interest" can be used interchangeably when talking about religion - even if we're discussing the Golden Rule.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I respect the position but why post in the thread then? If you find it unworthy of discussion, why are you discussing it?

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

As it relates to the Golden Rule, surely not everything we'd want to do - or feel biologically bound to do - is also good for us. So loving one's neighbor as one's self is not necessarily a call to affirm everything's one neighbor's practice, especially if one's neighbor is part of the same religious tradition as one's self.

Draft saved Draft deleted