1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'd guess many more agnostics and doubters than atheists.

Not sure why it's helpful to know that.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The first question was whether man made God - any God - up. Later, there was a line about this being the fiction thread. I’d just as soon know who thinks, “yeah, I’m with Richard Dawkins,” so we can know what kind of discussion we’re trying to have.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

With a thread title this general, I'm quite certain we are going to have many different conversations all in one place.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Evolutionary game theory - Wikipedia

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Right, but the shift from religion to science happened real fast. Which is fine. But it’s like one of those book polls where Ayn Rand adherents flood in. A religion thread that immediately becomes about how science disproves religion isn’t really a religion thread. It’s a science thread. It’s a debate atheists like to have. I don’t begrudge them that; Lord knows I’d had them.

If, in order to talk about religion, we have to unpack evolutionary game theory, the purpose of DNA and how human communities function, that’s a different discussion. Worthy and interesting in its own way.

6. outofplace

If you have a different way you want to take it, take it there. If people are interested in the tangent, they will join in. That's how this stuff works.

One aspect of religion is how those who don't believe view it, and often that is through a scientific prism. That is almost definitely going to be part of any discussion of religion here.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This is one of the funniest things I have read since joining SJ in '03.

I hope to hell that @Alma laughed a good laugh when he read that line.

For all I know it's true. But the line drips with frothy condescension when oop writes it.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Clearly. I’d just like to size that part up.

9. outofplace

I wouldn't say condescension, but I certainly wasn't playing nice and I had a good reason for that. I took what Alma posted as saying that morals have to come from religion and that simply isn't true. You don't need to be religious to be a good person and there are some people who are deeply religious on the surface, but they are clearly horrible human beings.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My church (United Methodist) has been doing an interfaith study this month. On Wednesdays, we've had speakers from a Jewish synagogue, a mosque, Buddhist temple and Hindu temple. It reminded me to reread some of Huston Smith's works on world religions. And that reminded me if we all lived by the Golden Rule, this would be a lot better place - whether you're talking globally, regionally, locally or digitally.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am areligious. And I think if everyone followed the golden rule, it would make for an unprecedented level of peaceful coexistence.

I also think:
    1) you don't need to be religious to believe in the golden rule
    2) the golden rule itself tells people what not to do, whereas in my experience religions are in the business of telling people what they should do. It's a huge distinction.
    3) that distinction is the main reason why religions themselves have been the biggest impediment to people actually following the golden rule.

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

The Golden Rule is seen in any religion of scale. It's a shared tenet that brings people together. When the focus is less on the rule and more on the allegedly responsible diety, it's much less effective.

Draft saved Draft deleted