1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

great job voting™

Fred siegle likes this.
  2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

My favorite part of last night's debate:

Moderator: Senator Warren, how would you repair the JCPOA with Iran?

Warren: Look, having nuclear—my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Herring at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, Rutgers law, very good, very smart—you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a man, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I'm one of the smartest people anywhere in the world—it’s true!—but when you're a woman, they try—oh, do they do a number—that’s why I always start off: Went to Rutgers, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune—you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged—but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me—it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what's going to happen and he was right—who would have thought?), but when you look at what's going on with the four prisoners—now it used to be three, now it’s four—but when it was three and even now, I would have said it's all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don't, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years—but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.

OscarMadison and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The JFK, Jr. stuff is a QAnon thing. They were sure he was going to reveal himself at the July 4th thing on the Mall...

QAnon Followers Think JFK Jr. Is Coming Back on the 4th of July

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Good Frank Bruni Column.

Opinion | It Was the Best of Warren. It Was the Worst of Warren.

All of this was to be expected. All of it was, in fact, a great compliment to Warren. During both the opening stretch of the debate and subsequent ones, her prescriptions were the point of reference, her priorities set the terms of the discussion, and she was the candidate to whom the debate’s moderators kept returning so that she could respond to her rivals’ invocations of her.

And she stayed cool and confident under fire, sounding more grateful for the spotlight than fearful of the microscope. It was, for the most part, a fine performance.

But it was also, at first, an exasperating one. That unwillingness to talk candidly about middle-class taxes, though she was pressed by both a moderator and by other candidates to do so, bordered on perverse.

She kept saying, as if it were a tic or a stutter, that “costs will go down” for middle-class families, the translation of which is that taxes might well go up but that those families would be economically ahead of the game in the end.

If that’s the case, why not be explicit about the arithmetic and own it? If there’s nothing to hide from, why hide from it? Warren has campaigned as a truth teller but came across, in this instance, as a classically evasive Washington operator, scared to treat voters as grown-ups who can process information in a sophisticated manner.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Over here Joe.

[​IMG]

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding like a coastal snob - which I probably am ...
    Why must the constant neediness of the midwest be a focal point for every one of these debates?

OscarMadison and lakefront like this.
  11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Electoral College.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Because the platform is already built by coastal Democrats.

Fun fact: The last time a coastal Democrat was president? JFK.

Since? Texas, Georgia, Arkansas, Illinois.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.