1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Esquire vs. GQ

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Feb 19, 2010.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The women's mags go a step further: They do a whole spread on what's 'out,' and then ten pages later, there's another spread featuring one of the 'out' items as a 'must have.'

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

When I was in my 20s, I used to read the women's mags because my brother-in-law read them to "know how they think." Well, it didn't help him because they got divorced and more than 10 years later he still apparently doesn't know "how they think" and is probably doomed to read Cosmo until it falls off. As for me, my wife doesn't read them, so neither do I anymore. I will say the sex stories in the women's mags are hotter than the pathetic ones in the men's mags, although both seem to consider their readers completely neurotic and incompetent in that area.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I read Esquire a few times a year, so when I found a deal to subscribe through Amazon for $10 for two years, I signed up. Looking forward to it, though the wife will not be happy with one more magazine coming into the house.

4. rockcrit88

rockcrit88 New Member

Both magazines are excellent.
    Look at the line up of writers at each mag -- Chirs Jones, Charles P. Pierce, Scott Raab, Tom Junod, and the legendary Mike Sager at Esquire. Anything by those guys is ususally worth the price of the mag. My only complaint, too many celebrity profiles. The Ebert piece was an exception.

Having said that, GQ has Charles Bowden, Andrew Corsello, Chris Heath, Tom Carson, Robert Draper and Sean Flynn. Plus, on occasion, horse racing writer John Jeremiah Sullivan.

Almost to close to call.

Both do great long form pieces a lot of magazines won't do anymore.

Esquire wins though, I think, because of Sager and future legend Chris Jones.

BTW -- anybody read the Chris Jones boxing piece in the new ESPN The Mag? "The Substitute."

It's amazing.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That's how current and hip they are - by the time you get those 10 pages read, it's back in style.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So if I read the issue backwards, I can be out of style before anyone realizes!

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hey @Alma, when's that "hard left turn" taking place? lol

[​IMG]

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Quite the names on this thread

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

In culture it's already happened.

Politically, 5-10 years.

10. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

That jacket looks like it would be a pain in the ass to wear in a snowstorm.

People still read magazines btw?

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Nope

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

And yet if he were left alone with any of our women for ten minutes, they would be lost to us forever.

Draft saved Draft deleted