1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that irk you......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 20, 2017.

1. OBTW: Lennon would be 79 today!

Right there with you.

2. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Umpires still allowing catchers to pull pitches that miss, into the strike zone and get a called strike. Talk about influencing the outcome of a game! Can’t MLB see what’s happening?
    I remember in Luciano’s book him relating that if a catcher pulled pitches during one of his games he ran the risk of every subsequent pitch being called a ball.

3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

His team is No. 1, no matter the outcome.

4. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

When catchers started being judged as good "pitch framers" — to the point where it became somewhat of an analytic — and that started to get a lot of pub, I fully expected umpires to start squeezing those catchers' pitchers and say, "Think you can frame a pitch and fool me? I'll show you!"

Vombatus likes this.
  5. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Wasn’t aware of the analytic angle, makes a degree of sense I guess.
    It ties baseball to football and the sadly comedic situation of ‘what is a catch’. Seems to be very arbitrary officiating that could conceivably be viewed as ‘fixing’ a result. Very bad optics.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, marking the birthdays of dead celebrities, really, has become more of a thing really in the last 30-40 years, as we've amassed, as a society, or maybe as a culture, a longer list of major figures -- JFK, MLK, Elvis, Lennon and many more -- who have died in violent or tragic circumstances, and people want to commemorate something other than their death date.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

That's not the analytic theory of pitch framing. Catchers influence ball/strike calls by not moving their gloves. If a pitch is out of the strike zone, but the catcher doesn't move, the ump is more likely to call it a strike and vice versa.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Co-workers who send you an email and then walk to your desk and say, "I just sent you an email" and then proceed to discuss the content of that email, which you've not had time to properly digest. If you're gonna come talk to me about something, then why waste your own time writing up what you're gonna discuss? And if you are gonna do that, maybe let a little time pass before you swing by.

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Paper trail.

CD Boogie likes this.
  10. CD Boogie

Yup, reckon so. Still aggravating -- the timeline of the send and the swing by.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Assholes.

12. CD Boogie

Halloween is not a fucking season; it's a single day, Oct. 31. Halloween has turned into the most look-at-me narcissistic bullshit. It's a fucking holiday for children. When I was a kid, adults didn't dress up and go to Halloween parties. If they did, it was rare. Ya wanna make one holiday into a season (ya know, other than fucking Christmas) make it Thanksgiving. Instead of so many adults spending a good portion of October thinking about how they're gonna look cool, sexy, witty, hip, etc., spend November giving thanks that you even have time to consider that bullshit.

FileNotFound, expendable and qtlaw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted