1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 7 Thread: The Tim Worley-Dirley Conspiracy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 15, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I know, I was being flip in that regard. But teams that traditionally suck don't travel well, that's my basic point. And the Pats sucked for so many years before Parcells came along. I'm sure there are plenty of Grosse Pointe folks who retire in FLA, and you won't see a large Lions contingent at any Dolphins games.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I was on planes with those fans. Miami game always a big deal until the 1989-1991 collapse. Once Parcells came in, it was back to Miami weekends for Pats fans.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The results of living in an area without a team: Cowboys and Steelers every Sunday in the 1970s.

4. CD Boogie

Show me the crowd size, Trump. And no doctoring!

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Same could be said about LA. A generation of fans grew up without a home team.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"I have a lot more left in the tank." ... yes, that's what the league was afraid of.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  9. CD Boogie

He didn't perform well after his big payday, but he got that big payday because he played a key role on a SB-winning team.

Osweiler relieved an injured and struggling Peyton Manning in the second half of that Super Bowl season, leading the Broncos to a 5-2 record as a starter. He completed 61.8 percent of his passes while throwing 10 touchdowns and six interceptions over eight games as a defensive unit led by Von Miller played the starring role in Denver.

Manning eventually replaced Osweiler in the regular season finale and through the playoffs and famously won his second Super Bowl during the worst season of his career by a long shot. Without Osweiler keeping the ship steady during the season, there’s a good chance Manning would have retired with one ring.

Brock Osweiler — key to Broncos' 2015 Super Bowl run — announces retirement

10. Michael_ Gee

Good remembering. As with Osweiler, most of the catastrophic NFL QB contracts have been mistaking a brief burst of success for a backup as said backup's baseline level of performance.

11. CD Boogie

"What the hell does that mean?" -- Matt Flynn

12. Michael_ Gee

I was thinking of Scott Mitchell when I posted, but Flynn's an ever better case. He NEVER started for the team that gave him the contract.

Draft saved Draft deleted