1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominee screechfest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Sigh, no Zevon or Roxy Music.....

Pat Benatar - No
    Dave Matthews Band - Yes
    The Doobie Brothers - Yes
    Motörhead - Abso-fucking-lutely, should have happened years ago when Lemmy was still alive
    The Notorious B.I.G. - Yes
    Soundgarden - Yes
    T. Rex - No
    Thin Lizzy - Yes
    Whitney Houston - Yes
    Depeche Mode - Yes
    Judas Priest - A tough no from me
    Kraftwerk - No, but could be a candidate to be this year's Jann Wenner Special
    MC5 - No
    Nine Inch Nails - Yes
    Rufus featuring Chaka Khan - No
    Todd Rundgren - No, see Kraftwerk

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I was sure Cocker was in. That's insane. I don't have a huge issue with any of the others, but Cocker should have gone in years ago.

Decent rule of thumb: If you do a Beatles cover that absolutely obliterates the original, you deserve hall consideration.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Roxy Music was in this year's class. That one they got right. Still no Smiths, though.

(I'll do my annual dissertation on the list later when I have more time.)

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Reynolds has been with DMB since the beginning, IIRC.
    After Leroi passed (RIP) it just seems........less. And I say this absolutely loving DMB.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In the studio, but I saw a whole lot of shows over the years without Tim on stage. Yeah, I miss Leroi too. But Coffin and Ross make up a really solid horn section.

I'm excited to see what the next album will sound like. And bummed DMB Radio on XM ended last night.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The problem for me with Rage is that almost all of their songs sound exactly the same. They lack range. I know AC/DC is all about no ballads, but Rage just gives me a headache after like 20 minutes. And I like them a lot.

Soundgarden has enormous range. The Day I Tried to Live, Fell on Black Days and Black Hole Sun are nothing like Cochise, Rusty Cage or Outshined.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Correct, just muscle memory from me from typing that every year and holy shit, no Winwood (Spencer Davis Group, Traffic and a damn fine solo career?), no Cocker, no Willie Nelson or Merle Haggard but Laura Nyro is in? Rubbish, indeed.

9. CD Boogie

Also no Kenny Rogers...

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The Red Hot Chili Peppers collectively got up and kicked BYH's cat across the room.

11. CD Boogie

Under the Bridge, Scar Tissue, Otherside, Californication. The RHCP look like the Beatles in terms of range compared with Rage.

EDIT: Soul to Squeeze, that's a big departure from their socks-on-a-cock, frat bro bullshit. Plus I love their cover of Higher Ground by Stevie Wonder.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  12. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

My questions:
    1) Why the Benatar hate?
    2) Do we ALL concur a "no way in hell" for Ted Nugent?
    3) Blue Oyster Cult? Yay or Nay?

Draft saved Draft deleted