1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

John Bolton is proof of the wisdom of LBJ's quote about J. Edgar Hoover. Once Trump threw Bolton out of the tent, he commenced pissing into it.

Alma likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

"My faith" or "I believe" is not an automatic shut off valve that makes it so that others aren't going to question your bigoted opinions about how people who are different than you should have to live their lives.

The big problem with Christianity is that it is the majority religion here. It gives some people a sense of entitlement to wax poetic about their "faith" and what they "believe" in, because there are a lot of others in line egging it on. And politicians pander to it because they represent a block of votes that other religions that may be just as intolerant don't offer.

At the end of the day, though, people who aren't part of your club, and who don't do the faith in fairy tales thing, don't really want to hear about your faith or WHY you are a bigot. It doesn't really change the fact that you are one. Which is the maddening part.

Believe whatever you want. Live your life as you want.

But that is kind of the point. Stop trying to constantly legislate how others need to their lives.

This shouldn't be that difficult. It's the essence of freedom.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Or that 20 years into the 21st century - the matter having long since been decided in most cases by state law - only the most inflexible Christianists would still be asking this question.

And I don't think Warren helped herself much with this little bit of theater.

"Town hall"- style Q and As always paper the house, and this is pretty obviously a planted question.

But the idea that in a post-Trump political environment flippancy or sarcasm or mockery are off the table is sort of ridiculous.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    OscarMadison and BadgerBeer like this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If your church or mosque or synagogue chooses not to perform or recognize gay marriage that is the right of your church or mosque or synagogue.

It may not seem so, but the state isn't in the business of inscribing religious practice - even majority religious practice - as law.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Agreed.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I didn’t say it was off the table. Indeed, she gave the kind of answer Trump might give to impugn someone’s likability.

Why progressives would want to engage in that I don’t...well, actually I do. Trump gives them the latitude to act as nasty as they please and be as candid about what they think as he is.

The worst thing about Trump is his effect on everyone else. We’re a little bit more like jackals because of him.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with this, but Trump's 'fuck you' attitude is a huge part of his appeal to that forgotten, disenfranchised, Hillbilly Elegy demographic we're told to feel sorry for.

So to tell his opposition that those same rhetorical tools are too nasty or vulgar or belittling or sarcastic is to propose unilateral disarmament.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  8. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Good lord. I agree that Warren may have offended a tiny number of people that happen to be homophobic and perhaps, maybe, we will see, were going to vote Dem. But this is 2019. There is only one correct answer. So again, fuck any fairy tale believing stooge that feels otherwise. Also, earlier you seemed angry that she assumed that this hypothetical male was ugly. He/she is ugly. Those that feel this way are among the most ugly people we have.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You mean the people who didn't do shit with their lives? Those ones?

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Everyone has a First Amendment right to practice the religion of their choice.

Everyone also has a First Amendment right to criticize that religion and its practitioners for any shortcomings, either real or perceived.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Maybe you aren't all that likable if you are the kind of person who goes up to a presidential candidate and out of all the things you could use that moment for you start proselytizing about what your faith teaches you.

Look at the exchange you have spent the last week parsing.

1) Question: "Let's say you're on the campaign trail and a supporter approaches you and says, 'Senator, I'm old-fashioned, and my faith teaches me that marriage is between one man and one woman.' What is your response?"
    2) Obviously, implicit in that question is that the only people who walk up to presidential candidates and say that kind of thing are people trying to push their religion on everyone else or who want something legislated so everyone has to live a certain way.
    3) Her answer, "Then just marry one woman. I'm cool with that."
    4) i.e. -- nobody is telling you how to live your life, stop trying to tell others.
    5) Then the "assuming you can find one."
    6) Followed by a week of you being offended by that moment over and over and over again.

Stop being so offended. Just because you have "faith" doesn't mean everyone has to take whatever it is you want to believe as seriously as you insist on. And if you keep interjecting that faith all of the time to tell people what it has "taught" you, yeah, expect there to be some people who don't find it all that likable.

What you should be concerned about is whether you are free to have your beliefs -- whatever they are. Her answer was. ... "Marry one woman. I'm cool with that."

But we haven't gotten a week of you praising her for standing up for your right to live YOUR life as YOU want. Imagine if you were gay and a politician said, "Sure, marry whoever you want. I'm cool with that." That would be the moment you have been waiting for your whole life!

My guess is deep down, there are a lot of people who feel guilty about their intolerance of others, so when someone makes a quip like the one she made, they will harp on their offense at the joke till the earth explodes. It's a convenient way to avoid instead having to confront their actual intolerance.

OscarMadison, X-Hack and BadgerBeer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.