1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tyler Skaggs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jul 1, 2019.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

People, of course, will point to the fact that he was proven right at the end, but that Observer story was still poor journalism, in my view. It was presented as a news story, and at the time he had no evidence or sources to the fact, and I doubt the writer had any more knowledge of the situation at the time than any of us did. It was just an instance of a blind squirrel finding a nut.

Staying on the subject, this was a pretty good rundown on the legal ramifications and possibilities as the case moves forward:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/10/13/tyler-skaggs-death-investigation-latest

ChrisLong and sgreenwell like this.
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't click on si links after last week.

Was this written by a 'citizen journalist'?

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The guy is identified as SI.com's legal analyst. It is actually a good article that answered some questions about what could happen in the future. As I was reading it, I was thinking to myself, "I'd better enjoy this before SI.com goes completely to crap."

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Michael McGann. They still have all or most of their "starters" - but they've replaced a lot of the second-string/writer-reporter types with the mavens. I will add that some of the team maven sites are staffed by journos who have covered those teams for dailies for years - the Cal site is staffed by Jeff Faurado late of BANG and Jake Curtis, formerly of the Chronicle.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I think Farudo and Curtis teamed on a website. Both do string for their former employers. Kind of like Ross McKeon's coverage of the Sharks for the Chronicle.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Farudo and Curtis are more than competent. Actually really used to enjoy Curtis when he was with the SF Chronicle (my local fish wrap that still employs some heavy hitters like Ostler, Killion,and my all time fav Mr. Bruce Jenkins).

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

And I wonder where the PR guy got the stuff.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I interviewed a heroin addict for a story once - he had started on Oxy, and said that if you just hung around the right aisles at various CVS and Rite Aid stores, someone would approach you. In the bigger cities, it's not hard to figure out where you need to go.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

From everything I have read/heard, users don't buy Fentanyl. They unknowingly buy drugs adulterated with Fentanyl. The reports of Fentanyl's strength make me believe that using it straight is almost impossible to do safely.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Vombatus, ChrisLong and sgreenwell like this.
  10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yep. They buy what they are told is black market Oxycontin. Those pills are from Mexico and they are made by a guy putting a drop of Fentanyl on each pill. If he fucks up and puts on two drops, you're dead.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And a major source of the Fentanyl is China.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I know nothing about Fentanyl except that on the cop and lawyer shows, the mysterious death always seems to be traced to Fentanyl.

Draft saved Draft deleted