1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columbus Day? Indigenous Peoples Day?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Oct 14, 2019.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Anyone who is angered by Christopher Columbus is either ignorant or an idiot for the calamity that happened after The Spanish conquered the Western Hemisphere. Blame the Spanish. It was their government who imposed the rules on the exploration and conquest. Columbus merely led the first expedition to find a new route to China. He didn’t set out to commit genocide or destroy thousands of communities of people. Cortez, de Gama ... Blame the Spanish. They set up the clas system in South America. But most of all blame Christianity, especially Catholicism. The priests and bishops were the ones who deemed the indigenous people sub human. Christianity killed them and subjugated them. Columbus is an easy target but it completely misses the mark. Want to protest genocide and conquests of the indigenous population of the Western Hemisphere? Can’t ban a church, but Christianity is the root cause of the majority of man mad ills in out society.
    Leave Columbus Alone. Blame Christ.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

From Wikipedia: "According to Spanish colonist and Dominican friar Bartolomé de las Casas's contemporary A Short Account of the Destruction of the Indies, when slaves held in captivity began to die at high rates, Columbus ordered all natives over the age of thirteen to pay a hawk's bell full of gold powder every three months. Natives who brought this amount to the Spanish were given a copper token to hang around their necks. The Spanish cut off the hands of those without tokens, and left them to bleed to death. Thousands of natives committed suicide by poison to escape their persecution."

So uh, I'm fine with saying "fuck you" to his holiday even if you want to give him a pass on the other stuff.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Read "Lies That My Teacher Told Me"

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I just wanted to mail a package today.

Batman, CD Boogie and rtse11 like this.
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You know who relished celebrating Columbus Day?

Jeffrey Epstein.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

"He didn't set out to commit genocide or destroy thousands of communities of people" but he did it anyway. The Spanish were awful, yes, but that doesn't mean Columbus wasn't. He did some messed up shit to the natives. So yeah, blame Columbus.

7. heyabbott

I know. I’m not excusing Columbus. But he didn’t go off the reservation, pun intended. He followed and was part of his times. He was a functionary in the Euro-Christian dynasty. He acted with blessing of the Crown and Church. It’s the fault of Christians in general. Not Columbus in particular

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

But whhhyyyyy should we recognize that? Especially since 1) there were already people effing living here and 2) he wasn't even the first European to represent a group to get over this way - that would be the Vikings. There are enough decent people in the world we can remember with holidays, if we want, that we don't have to recognize the questionable douchebag.

9. heyabbott

I’m not arguing that point. Do away with Columbus Day. But the blame lies squarely with Catholic Church if not the entirety of Christianity for the genocide, oppression and slavery. Scapegoating Columbus is weak.
    People are defacing statues of Columbus when they should be marching on the churches demanding they make restitution and apologize. Indigenous Peoples Day should be when Christians hold themselves and their religion accountable for crimes against humanity. Not some 15th century Italian sea captain

Draft saved Draft deleted