1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tyler Skaggs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jul 1, 2019.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Let's go a little easy on the whole mourning "charade" thing. His dealer was a team employee. There are implications that two other employees knew.

That doesn't mean the players knew... and even if they did, they still lost their friend. It doesn't make the mourning any less genuine.

I've had two friends/co-workers drink themselves to death in the past few years. One was a full-blown raging alcoholic -- lost jobs, wife left him, repeated DUIs, spent a month in a coma before a recovery, the whole nine. When he died it was still gut-wrenching.

The other one? She died in her sleep. Her room was apparently buried in vodka bottles. No one had a clue. Worked alongside her for years and didn't see anything.

Huggy and sgreenwell like this.
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That's a bold pronouncement, Cotton (Mather).

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...and that guy told the sainted Tim Mead.

Things could get even messier. Or, MLB will make sure Arte and Co. just cut a ginormous check and it all gets swept under a halo-labeled rug.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This is gonna be worse than the Pittsburgh Pirates drug trials, no?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The director of communications sounds like a guy that was dealing with his own addiction stuff. Obviously not great that he was supplying Skaggs, but I think the team could argue that it was two employees doing drugs together, they didn't necessarily know or condone, etc.

If there is a paper trail proving that Mead knew, then I think the Angels are in all sorts of deep shit with multiple parties. And especially if Mead changes his stance from, "Hey I knew nothing" to "Hey I told X, Y and Z above me."

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

There's something to you first paragraph. Right now, Quinn's exclusive reads as, "The Angels are going to say this was one employee selling to Skaggs." He's going to have to prove Mead (or anyone else) knew. The story indicates the DEA got involved because it looks for the sources of Fentanyl-related deaths. I can totally see why he met with them, because he'd be the number one suspect. But, in this case, he testified that Skaggs already used the supply he provided, so the pitcher went elsewhere. The question will be whether or not the DEA believes/can prove the story.

Another angle: I have heard in the past that there have been occasions where teams preferred to supply painkillers rather than have players go out on the street and get them. But no proof, and no idea if it is at all relevant in this case.

I guess it is also important to point out that Mead left three weeks before Skaggs' death.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I don't have experience with addiction, but I've read enough stuff (David Simon's books, Beautiful Boy and its counterpart, Tweak by Nic Sheff). It's not really unusual for addicts to "deal" or to supply one another, and historically, that's viewed in a differently light by (sympathetic) folks than, say, someone doing it solely for profit.

The thing about pro teams providing pain killers on the down low to players seems like something that almost surely happens, especially in football. And obviously way different circumstances, but similar to Penn State, a bunch of this is going to come down to who knew what, who did they then inform, and what was their obligation to push the matter. (And obviously - a shit ton of this is all murky.)

10. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Stuff like this always fascinates me, as one who has never sold nor procured drugs. How does that transaction happen? Is it Skaggs going to the PR guy and saying, "Bro, got any oxy?" Or PR guy going to Skaggs with, "Need any oxy?" How does one know to ask the other?

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The SM Observer is never going to break major stories. It's a free weekly throwaway, more of a calendar paper. I don't know the guy who wrote the story, or how he got it, or how it got into the SM Observer. If you look at his current post on their website, you can see he can't freaking write.

One of the first things I wondered when this story broke was how Kay got addicted. The ESPN story quotes his mom saying that he got addicted to Oxy after his father died. What kind of pain is this? Weird.

The story says they have been using Oxy for at least two years. I would think that the Fentanyl probably is what killed him and there was nothing in the story that said Kay got it for Skaggs, only Oxy. Fantastic reporting by ESPN, but that is a major hole in this story.

I questioned at the beginning of this thread how many guys who had Tommy John surgery wind up on Oxy? I bet there is a bunch. How many TJs are there per year, a couple of dozen? And we never hear about the guys in the minors.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

This is why the push for CBD oil is underway

Draft saved Draft deleted