1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 6 NFL Thread: Cliff Stoudt edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 8, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You’re the worst kind of fan. Even when things are going well you look for any reason to bitch. You predict the worst so that you’re covered on all bases if things go right. In short, lame.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Proposed:

Philip Rivers is the worst great quarterback in NFL history.

Discuss.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Please. He isn't even the worst QB the Chargers have ever employed. Ryan Leaf anyone?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

But Ryan Leaf was never great.

Philip Rivers is objectively a great quarterback.

But he may be the worst great quarterback in NFL history.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My bad. It's not even 6am. I missed the word great.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

no harm no foul my friend

have a great day

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

They called him a first-ballot Hall of Famer at the beginning of last night’s broadcast. He’s not or shouldn’t be.

I’d say Tony Romo is right there with him for this title. For some reason Romo is never mentioned as a HOFer. I think he’s burdened by having played for the Cowboys and the expectations that go along with it. Who gives a shit about the Chargers? San Diego has blown great seeds and had a slew of talent with Rivers and he’s rarely knocked for coming up short. It might not have fallen strictly on him, but he never had those transcendent moments or games where he just carried his team.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In perhaps the distillation of his career, the one game where I saw Rivers carry his team was a loss, in the 2007 AFC title game against the then-unbeaten Patriots. No Tomlinson, and Rivers kept the Chargers in it for a long time.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Rivers is much better than Romo.

Here's the Rivers career comp line from Football Reference:

Career: John Elway*, Dan Marino*, Joe Montana*, Matt Ryan, Fran Tarkenton*, Brett Favre*, Ken Anderson, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Warren Moon*

To the extent we credit comparisons like this, Philip Rivers is an all-time NFL quarterback. With relatively little to show for it.

Philip Rivers Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Rams got embarrassed by the 49er fans at the Coliseum today. The Rams move still has question marks.

The Chargers move is a disaster.

What happened last night at "Dignity Health Sports Park" is the worst home invasion I've ever seen, in any sport.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Jimmy G is a nice compliment as is the running game. (Jimmy G has got one of worst Corp of receivers, two dropped TDS)

Back to the rush, last time Niner DL was this dominant, it was the 70’s Gold Rush when Cedric Hardeman and Tommy Hart sacked Roman Gabriel 11 times on MNF. (True story, maybe it was an old Hadl)

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I figured Eli Manning had that title on lockdown.

Draft saved Draft deleted