1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Muscle Cars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Aug 29, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

At my kid's preschool several years ago there was a woman that dropped off her kid every day in an orange SRT-8 Challenger. We arrived at about the same time every morning and, sorry to be judgmental, but I figured at some point there would be a dude driving that car. Nope, always the woman. Finally one day we walked our kids in together and I said "that's a heckuva ride." She smiled widely and said "I know, I had to have it."

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I don't buy Chevy's explanation of why the new Corvette is NOT available with a third pedal. Their excuse is that the aluminum transmission tunnel tube going up the middle of the frame between the front and rear wheels is much stronger without the hole that would be necessary where the manual shift would be located.

To be fair, that's the only thing that keep the Nissan GT-R from being perfect. Available only with paddles, which are not better than a traditional manual IMO. Would still take one over a Corvette - without hesitation.

The Corvette is proof that the domestics can build something worthwhile, but that the beancounters cripple too many of their other offerings and, for far too many years, the domestics wouldn't bother to make improvements until much better alternatives from the Japanese forced them to do so. So ... reactive instead of proactive. A recipe for disaster.

The Big Three can do better - and should - but too many crap offerings have long turned me off. Do better. Now.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I decided to get a true roadster instead,

[​IMG]

Factory turbo in a true fun car to drive.

4. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

I’ve had classic cars with horsepower in the past (1968 El Camino 396 bored and stroked to about 460 ci and 600+ HP was my favourite) but have a 2003 SE Miata, with engine and exhaust work done, racing clutch and suspension, and I can’t imagine a better sports car. An absolute blast to drive on the country roads in Alberta and bulletproof reliability. Yours is a real looker, too. The Mazdaspeed option is a fantastic addition.

SportsGuyBCK and qtlaw like this.
  5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

After driving the Mustang GT I figured I wanted more of a true roadster; I really wanted the top down and clutch experience. Wifey got upset but acknowledges she doesn’t understand. I have driven clutches for over 40 yrs and missed it so bad plus haven’t had a convertible for 12. The Miata shifting is easy and effortless plus the turbo’s nice.

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yeah the reliability is huge, didn’t want to think about possible $5k repair on a boxster or Beemer.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Admittedly if I had $65k just dying to be spent I’d consider the new Vette, looks awesome.

misterbc and FileNotFound like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

'66 GTO.

A nearly perfect muscle car.

805accf6aa8c734afb009f4070a4bb8c.jpg

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

My personal favorite: 1970 Chevy Chevelle:

[​IMG]

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I've been seeing some Boxsters and 911 Carreras ranging from 2000-2010 in good shape on Facebook Marketplace running for $10K-$40K that have me itching, repairs be damned.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Two good candidates for original muscle car.

Chrysler C-300

58421994-770-0@2X.jpg

Oldsmobile Rocket 88

olds-rocket-88-ad.jpg

misterbc and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted