1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matt Lauer has his transaction cancelled

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Oct 9, 2019.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Please tell us what part of my characterization of your side didn't come from something you posted. You did make a big stink about her drinking and going back to a married man's room, as if that somehow justified her being raped. That was part of your case against her being a victim. If you're going to assume a woman who does that is lying, then those women don't get protection from being raped and you seem to be just fine with that.

You didn't realize that even if she consented to some sexual acts, if she said no to anal sex and he did it anyway, that is rape. That is where I got the part about you not understanding what constitutes rape.

I did gloss over your argument that she shouldn't be believed because she didn't come forward right away. You did that while you were demonstrating the type of attitude that is a major reason why so many women don't come forward immediately, if ever. You clearly don't get that he would have been able to use his power over her to get what he wanted. If her story is true, she was pushed into sex by a man who has power over her. For that, you called her a whore.

As I wrote earlier, you are so lost in the idea that a woman might accuse you unjustly that you didn't even try to see things from the victim's point of view. I absolutely get the concern about being accused. The difference is I can see past that to consider both sides and understand that Lauer is the one with a history of being untrustworthy.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You are not worth engaging. You bore me.

3. outofplace

In other words, you've lost and you know it.

4. CD Boogie

Wrong

5. outofplace

Perhaps she is talking about her experience. Nowhere in her post did she say black men have never done such things, but race does have an impact on power dynamics.

You acknowledge that Lauer is a dirtbag, yet you immediately assumed it was the woman who was lying and called her a whore. Do you not see the problem in that?

6. CD Boogie

Perhaps no one was talking to you

7. outofplace

This is a public thread. If you want to have a private conversation, take it to PMs. I'm sorry you can't handle having the flaws in your posts pointed out, but you don't dictate who can respond to what on this thread.

8. CD Boogie

You can take it to GFYs. My thoughts are very clear and spelled out. If you can’t read well, I shouldn’t be expected to reiterate in myriad ways until you understand.

9. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

This explains a lot. Friends in high places have friends in high places who have friends ... and yeah, the white male power structure churns on:
    Ronan Farrow Depicts a Chilling Cover-up at NBC

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

The spat between you two reminds me of a conversation I found myself in the middle of ages ago, after returning from covering the hearings in Colorado leading to Kobe Bryant's rape trial.
    At our local bar I attempted to explain to a bunch of friends, mostly female, that while the accuser admitted she flirted with him and willingly went back to his room (gasp! a married man!! what a slut!!!), she DID NOT agree to anal sex. And that is one reason they settled out of court, because beyond the damage to his professional reputation, and the destruction of her personally, the lawyers for both sides knew the visuals of that non-consensual sex act were too awful for America to handle.

All these years later, I still don't care to be around one of the women who listened to my detailed rehashing of the depositions and the explanation that while someone might consent to this sex act or kissing here or touching there, once that someone says "no" to anything, it becomes sexual assault. Yet she still insists Kobe Bryant did nothing wrong, because the accuser knew exactly what she was getting into.

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

What OOP said and what Gingerbread said and cited.

(rant redacted before I hit the post button)

outofplace likes this.
  12. outofplace

I am more than capable of reading your posts accurately. Your ignorance, lack of empathy and insensitivity to the difficulties faced by many victims of rape and other forms of sexual assault has been laid bare. You admit that Lauer is a dirtbag, yet you assumed his accuser was a liar and called her a whore. The rest is you trying and failing to justify what you posted.

Draft saved Draft deleted