1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Writer

Writer Member

They canned the Brewers writer. Did anyone see anyone else get laid off?

2. Michael Scotto, their Brooklyn Nets writer, is also out.

3. Writer

Writer Member

Wow. Right before the season too.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How are writers evaluated? Views? Readership growth? If the site can get a bigger name?

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Did they also just lose a college hoops writer?

6. drexler

drexler New Member

As I've been told, it's almost entirely about generating subscriptions. It helps to have a massive social media following to preach to (the more potential subscribers, the better). If you write compelling, important stuff, but you're not able to turn your three-paragraph preview into enough subscriptions, the ax falls.

It's the only metric that matters.

Tweener likes this.
  7. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

So basically The Athletic is just buying twitter followers? No, that’s not a misguided plan of attack at all, no way....

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Rosanne's husband or brother?

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

When does the axe fall? One year? Three years? It'd still be nice to have the 3 year contract and produce as little as those folks produce. Go to a game and write a worthless story (one the newspaper guy wrote right after the game with a couple less sources) 3 days later, stuff like that.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The old Basketball Jones/The Starters guys are taking their podcast to The Athletic. Hopefully they'll go back to a little bit more of the TBJ hijinks. Got a little too corporate for my tastes under the NBATV umbrella, though I completely understand why.

11. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

What makes you say that?

12. Writer

Writer Member

I wonder if they will replace people they've laid off recently or are they going to cut back on coverage and focus only on top subscribing areas.

Draft saved Draft deleted