1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Oct 3, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In the middle of all this crap, that's an exceptional story. Author is a friend so I'm biased, but a heckuva read.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Those noon meetings were planned as 12:00 with those being let go and 12:30 for the survivors, per NPR. Messages went out last night. Staff rebelled, followed by afternoon meetings.

Cut half the pro staff and replace them with contract workers, bloggers, and (I shit you not) writers who pay to write an article and place it in SI.

What a steaming heap of manure. I wish all manner of bad things on the jerks doing this, but as usual they'll kill the business and come out ahead by stripping the corpse.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

"Warriors lost to the Raptors, but they tried really, really hard and their parents are very proud of them."

Farfetched, yeah. But for all intents and purposes, one of the most iconic names in sports journalism has gone advertorial,

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Are you fucking serious? If this is true, I'll never pick up another copy of SI for the rest of my life. F those bastards.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. More is going to come out about just how shady the Maven people are.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Honestly - I'd prefer it would just cease publication and go out with some dignity - not becoming a complete joke.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think the model for this is Forbes. Forbes has moved to a lot of paid content. And what was once a great magazine has continued ot go to hell.

And personally I find this very sad. I think if you were having a contest for the best American magazine from 1965-2015 if would be Sports Illustrated. SI would beat out the New Yorker because of the the problems the latter periodical had in the last years of William Shawn's tenure as editor.

And as an aspiring high school journalist I idolized their staff.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sports Illustrated Layoffs Seen as a Digital Company Takes Over

The $110 million deal went through in May, giving Authentic Brands Group the magazine’s archive of photographs and covers, as well as its Sportsperson of the Year and swimsuit issue franchises. Under the arrangement, Meredith was to continue operating the website and biweekly print magazine. Then Authentic Brands Group sold that license to Maven.

On Thursday, the transfer was completed, Meredith said in a statement.

“As the new licenser of Sports Illustrated, Maven made the Sports Illustrated personnel decisions that Meredith communicated to the SI employees today,” the statement said. “Going forward, the remaining SI employees will work at the direction and at the pleasure of Maven.”

WTF is that? The overlords are here and we will work at their pleasure?!

And the key word is "licenser." The Forbes comparison is apt. Unsavvy consumers hear "Forbes" and think it's some reputable voice, when it's actually pure crap.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is a tribute to the oft-self-maligned mental stability of our trade that no journalist has yet blown away one of these vulture capitalists.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Reasonably good current events explainer here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...aken-by-major-layoffs-massive-reorganization/

And this isn't just about the tectonic shift to digital, or changing reader habits.

Truth is, the trouble for all the Time Inc. titles really starts with the catastrophic AOL/Time-Warner merger in 2000 - then snowballs a decade and a half later when the Time Inc. firesale saddles it with a debt burden of more than a billion dollars.

That's why Sports Illustrated is being parted out this week by a souvenir company.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    maumann and Neutral Corner like this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted