1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Busch Light guy and the Des Moines Register

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Dude with a College GameDay sign got way more money in his venmo account than expected and sent that money to charity - specifically the kids hospital at Iowa. More than 1 million.

DMR then did a story on him - a long, mostly positive story - that included a "routine background check" of his social media and found racist jokes on his Twitter account from 8 years ago when he was 16.

Meet Carson King, the 'Iowa Legend' who's raised more than $1 million for charity off of a sign asking for beer money

He publicly apologized.

A Change.org petition started to get the DMR to apologize.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I hate stories like that - I think checking social media is good - but going back to when someone was a minor? Kind of icky and pervy. And unless it is directly related to the story, why run it?
    It's like when news orgs to a data base search on someone and do a complete legal report whether they know it is connected to the reason they searched in the first place. A dead woman and a missing boyfriend and the missing boyfriend has a domestic assault or is still legally married to someone else? By all means. There is a bus crash and you report the dead bus driver had two bankruptcies and was late on child support? Probably not.

SFIND and MNgremlin like this.
  3. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

The reporter who dug up those two tweets is now in the world of shit because he had A LOT of racist, homophobic and anti-cop tweets as recently as 2015. He says he's deleted the tweets and his account is now private. The paper "is aware of reports of inappropriate social media posts by one of our staffers, and an investigation has begun."

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

maybe don't be a racist

5. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

I'd fire the reporter for not knowing how the Internet works. How do you not scrub your own timeline the second you know that you are going to have to write about his guy's tweets?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not a fan of going into someone's social media history as a minor. This smacks of corporate policy that leaves no room for nuance. At a Gannett paper ... I'm shocked.

And the editor explaining how that stuff was decided to just be put at the bottom of the story, c'mon. Do you not realize how the internet works either?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  7. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

To be fair, many newspaper editors/execs are still figuring out how the internet works, since nobody really knew how to make many off it for years. Also would love to know what the editing process is like at some places. Does this person's ASE even read the copy? Does it go straight to the copy desk, or worse, the universal desk?

And I feel awful for everyone at the DMR who do great jobs and have nothing to do with this debacle and are going to have to deal with the blowback anyways.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  8. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

An editor has to say "No." Sometimes, social media history is fair game. Not in this case.

BurnsWhenIPee and RonClements like this.
  9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Here comes @Azrael being all reasonable and shit.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

sorry

I must have misposted

swingline likes this.
  11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

You'd like to think this story was carefully edited and all angles were considered. OR ...... a harried night editor rushed through it and sent it to the shared-services madhouse and that was it.

JM22720, HanSenSE and Patchen like this.
  12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

All I know is this: didn't even know Busch Light existed until earlier this summer. I've been informed it sells like crazy in the Midwest.

BurnsWhenIPee and Fran Curci like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted