1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Window seat etiquette on flights

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The TSA would Whoopi and Ted you right out of the airport.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If only. Moddy's kicks are daring.

I'm just a geezer trying to match a suit.

Which, by the way, Songbird is correct, I fly in.

On a weeklong reporting trip, I'm going to need at least three suits.

So I pack two, and wear the third.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I wear whatever is required to make sure I don't have to check a bag.

On a work trip? That means dress casual or better so I'm only bringing one pair of shoes on a trip and not taking up space in my carry-on bag.

So I look presentable, but it's not because of any desire to dress up for the plane. It's completely practical.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Some will find it nasty, but I go flip flops so I don't have to take off/put on shoes.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I say 'ugh' to you, sir. Ugh.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I almost always go with a t-shirt and jeans with a short-sleeve flannel shirt over the t-shirt. Comfortable, not overly sloppy, shirt pocket for reading glasses.

The shoes, as always, are slip-on surf shoes with no socks.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

To answer the original question, window seat > aisle seat. For many of the reasons mentioned (only one neighbor, not having to let people out for bathroom, no beverage cart collisions).

I also think the Southwest way of seating people — just a boarding group and number you obtain 24 hours in advance — works way better than assigned seats. Makes it much quicker to board the plane, and much less fuss/arguing about switching seats at the gate.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Sure as hell not shorts. I can’t imagine the gunk on the seats my skin would come in contact with, plus I’d live in fear of a Songbird-type sitting next to me and our skin occasionally rubbing.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You come into more contact with more gunk on a daily basis than you'd ever have to worry about sitting next to me.

Plus, no one's skin is cleaner than mine.

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I suspect the window-aisle debate closely correlated to the 5-foot-11 - 6-foot-0 line.

I’m 6-2, and so need an aisle so I can occasionally stretch my legs out.

maumann likes this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I was using you as a metaphor. If I could be assured my seatmate had your hygiene habits I’d wear my speedo.

Draft saved Draft deleted